Question about the MacOSX on x86 threads and MR's policies

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by wako, Aug 15, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Obviously there has been alot of interest in the x86 MacOSX threads. As you all know Mac never released the x86 edition to the public and the only way to get is to pirate it.

I was just wondering does MR not really care about warez talk? Most other forums usually do care, it doesnt seem like MR really does.

Not a MPAA or RIAA or whatever anti-piracy fan, just wondering.
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    If we see threads asking for info on piracy, warez or the like we close them down fast, members have been banned for such things. We are similarly tough on discussion of how to achieve illegal copies or breaking of DRM's etc.

However, we wouldn't, for instance, block a discussion on the effect that OSX86 will have on Apple's business once it's in the wild on Dell's, or indeed how to set up a BitTorrent client.

The technology isn't illegal, but you won't get far asking how to adapt OSX x86 for your Compaq.

We are a big forum and we do rely on members reporting stuff we don't otherwise see.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Indeed, despite our best efforts we can't be everywhere at once. If you see something out of line please make sure to report it, and don't just comment in the thread :)
  5. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Our "warez/piracy" talk has always been relatively clear.

You can discuss piracy, pirated software, and you can even admit you pirate software if you are so inclined to do (at your own peril). These things are topics of discussion and your own personal feelings and experiences about it. I certainly won't try to police individual behavior.

So these comments/discussions are fine:

"I got x86 on the PC working... here's how well it works"
    "I pirate all my software. I don't think it should be illegal"

However, we can't let the forums be a place for people to actively participate in piracy. You can't ask where to download XYZ or ask for a Serial Number for an application, etc...

These comments are NOT fine:

"I downloaded Photoshop CS and need a serial number"
    "Where can I download Mac OS X for Intel?"
    "Check out this bittorrent site where you can download XYZ"

It should be pretty obvious.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002

You're probably right, a few too many descriptive how-to and download links have snuck in.

If you find em, just report them.
  7. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Oh alright..

I was just wondering because I remember I found one thread where someone posted a link to some xbox forum where some guy achieved on getting OSX to work on his PC, yet it had a exact name of what file to look for to download
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The rules are more lenient than I first though... Interesting. Ah well, I suppose it doesn't really affect me anyway...

:::Climbs back up onto moral high horse and rides off into moral sunset:::