Question about the Messages app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TH55, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

macrumors 68020

When you have a conversation open, at the top in the upper left and right hand corners are the "Messages" and "Edit" buttons, respectively. "Messages" returns you to your list of conversations and "Edit" allows you to delete certain texts or clear the entire conversation.

[​IMG]

Is there a tweak available to switch these? I use the "Messages" button every time I text, and very rarely edit my conversations. However the "Messages" button is very difficult to reach when you are texting one-handed in your right hand (most people), whereas the "Edit" button is much easier to access. I wonder if this is another design choice Jobs made based on his own left-handedness

2. thread starter macrumors 68020

Do any messaging apps have these reversed?

3. macrumors 6502a

There is no tweak and the design choice has nothing to do with Jobs being left handed. The "messages" button is where it is b/c it's basically the back button (the same placement as the back button in basically every other iOS app). This is part of the UI suggestions/requirements when developing apps. In this instance, the "messages" button is taking you BACK to messages and that's the reasons it is where it is.

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

I understand that, what I'm asking is why on earth is the "back" button placement in the most difficult position possible to reach? It is literally the furthest away it could possibly be from where your thumb rests when holding the phone. It makes no sense as it is the most commonly used button in any app.

5. macrumors 603

Because in navigation backwards is universally left and forward is right (just like reading a book). Would it make sense on your browser to have the back button on the right and the forward button on the left?

6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because in English we read from left to right. Thus we see stuff on the left before and stuff on the right after.

So we have always looked at left/right arrows < > and associated left with "back in time" and right with "forward in time."

7. macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be a dick but did you really need this explained to you?

8. macrumors 6502a

Or for some people who hold their phone in their left hand it's just right. :p

9. JAT
    macrumors 603

Just imagine if you had a larger phone. :eek:

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

That makes sense, but it doesn't need to apply universally to every "back" button, especially when there isn't a forward button opposite it. It would be much more ergonomical to have it on the right.

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

As I said before, the "back" button argument doesn't really apply here since there is no corresponding "forward" button

12. macrumors 6502a

There is no corresponding forward button for thousands of apps so your point is irrelevant. It's still taking you "back" to the messages screen so it only makes sense to put it where the back button is normally located. If it was where the forward button is normally located it would be completely counter intuitive. Just accept that your suggestion makes no sense whatsoever from a design, functionality, or logical perspective.

13. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

wow, one of the few things I take for granted as a lefty haha.

14. macrumors 68000

You drive around campus on a segway?

15. macrumors 65816

This is one of the bad things about apple, there is barely any customization. We can't even alter the color of text messages!

16. macrumors 6502a

Yea if the next version of iOS doesn't let me change the color of my text messages, I'm definitely switching to Android! That's obviously a deal breaker! :rolleyes:

17. TG1
    macrumors 6502a

TG1

Yeah, using apps like Handcent and GOSMS really does spoil Android users for messaging. :) You can customize every single aspect of your texting from font, to color, to your wallpaper, to bubble style, to the color of your notification icon (or LED), and more. One of the reasons I jailbreak is for Handcent or BiteSMS. It's hard to go back to plain texting. :)

18. macrumors 65816

No, you're right, I'm not going to stop buying iPhones because of text color. I like the apple store as it is, and it's worth holding on to. I just want a bit more flexibility from apple, especially when a feature like that would not tax the processor. Give me some customization and silly things like a forward delete key.