Question about the new AirBase Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EricChunky, Jan 10, 2007.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

As far as i know, for a conventional B/G router, as long as there's one connected client uses B standard, the whole network will drop down to B speed to make it compatible.

is this the same with the N standard? I.e. if i connect some 802.11b/g clients to the wirless network I don't have N speed / coverage anymore even for those N clients?

2. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Is that true? I'd like to know as well.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I remember reading somewhere about how it is not that drastic, but it does imposes some performance penalty.

4. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

com'on... somone must know it...

if this is true there is no point to upgrade the router before everything in your household is pre-Ned.

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Do a search on the forums here. There more than a couple threads going on this.

6. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

This isn't entirely true (your first statement) and it's still only partially true for N. Here's the basic rundown:

When running a wireless network, the network runs most efficiently when all users are on the same standard. When mixing standards, network efficiency drops to account for the difference. It doesn't mean necessarily that G users run at B speed. It just means they see a decrease in performance. This decrease is mostly related to wireless range and not so much speed.

The same issue persists with N routers as well, but again, it's less about speed and more about wireless range. So if you have 3 machines running on N and one running on B, the N machines will still have a faster data rate than the B machines - they will just lose a little bit of speed (negligible) but quite a bit of network range.

Hope that helps.

7. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

Oooo well.. that's great explanation.. will grab one when its out then ... thx !;)

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

According to Apple:

"Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network."

clintob basically said the same thing with more detail, in which he appears to be absolutely correct.

jW