question about the powerbook space bar

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ovlovturbo, May 8, 2005.

1. ovlovturbo macrumors newbie

hi,

I am new here and i hope this is the right forum for this question, I have a powerbook g4 and was owndering if the space bar on my comp is slightly messed up or not. the issue is this, when typing i hit the space bar and there are certain spots on the bar that wont make it work those are, the very lower corner on both side and also the very very bottome of the bar, like if you justpush the very bottom edge of it it wont engage.

does anyone else has these types of issues, or am i just paranoid and it is all normal

thanks for the help in advance

Nik

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    never had the problem witha 3400c, Ti and Al books.

IE- the two most recent revisions of Apple Laptops, and an older one.

3. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, well is there anyone else that has noticed this?

Nik

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nik, if you press on the space bar on one of the sides (left or right), does it wobble -- that is, does it go pretty much straight down or does only the side that you press on go down? The reason I ask is that there is essentially one switch, AFAIK, underneath the key. So the key either closes the switch or does not -- it isn't like your trackpad that knows where it's being poked. So if there's an issue, the issue would be that mechanically, your key is not moving up and down evenly, and so it engages the switch when you press in some places but not others. It should not do that. If it does, you might either need to replace just the key (a Genius should be able to do that at an Apple store in a few minutes), or possibly the whole keyboard. But if it moves up and down smoothly, I think it's just a sensitivity thing on your part, and you won't notice it after a while.

5. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

hi

the spacebar goes up and down when i push it, the whole thing but it does not sound like it actually engages the switch when it is pressed on the ver bottom corners and the ver bottom of the bar. so this would be mechanical? would the switch need replacing or am i just too sensative?

i have never had this problem with my older computers, but this is the first mac i have owned so i dont know if they are meant to be like this?

Nik

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I obviously can't see exactly what you're doing, but it doesn't sound right to me, Nik. :( And yes, I would suspect a mechanical problem above the level of the switch, because the switch is like a bottleneck -- and since you have some functionality of the key, everything on the far side of the neck should be working....

7. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

well i think i will have to take it into a store to get it look at then!! this is not too good! i have onl yhad it for a few weeks!andi waited forever to get it!

Nik

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

They will fix it FAST. Don't worry about that.

9. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

would they be able to fix it while i wit? if it is not that hard?

Nik

10. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

Me too

I think all the new powerbooks are this way. I noticed this within the first hour I owned it. The way I press the spacebar is usually in the bottom right corner and the cursor does not move. I returned the computer to compUSA and bought a maxed out one from the apple store. It works the same way. I also have a 1.25 rev A powerbook that works fine on the corner of the space bar.

Also the new track pad button sucks compared to the rev-A Powerbooks!

With that being said, I still like the new one better. I just have to use a mouse more than I did before.

If they fix it, let me know. I think they will say it is within spec. But if you get yours working better, I will take mine in then.

Good luck

11. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting, but i think i will still go and talk to the guys at the apple store, but i wont be able to get thee till next week so i will have to keep you posted on what they say, hopefully it can be fixed, otherwise i will have to get used to the new stlye of spacebar

Nik

12. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the keyboards on the powerbooks are the best laptop keyboards i have ever come across and what you describe does not sound right. when i accidentally knocked off my left alt key, i put it back on again by pressing down on it rather hard and i felt it all click back together again. have you tried pressing down on your spacebar? looking at my keyboard i notice there are 3 switches along its length - about 1cm from either end and in the middle. possibly try pushing above all of these?

13. ovlovturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

ye, i have tried pushing on it with a fair amount of pressure, but nothing that would be considered a lot of force, and it still does the same thing, the bottom corners about a centimeter on either side would space the cursor in those areas when pressed on, so i will take it in and see what this is all about

Nik

14. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    take it in, you have a problem. be nice, yet firm. you spacebar is defective, and it is not within spec.

15. hex macrumors newbie

powerbook spacebar doesn't work

I have a brand new 1.67ghz powerbook and the spacebar doesn't work well either. It doesn't engage when I hit either end,even if I pressfairlyhard...its annoyingasyou can see. I amgoingto see what applehasto say

-b

16. hex macrumors newbie

Apple fixed the spacebar on my Powerbook

I took my powerbook in to apple and they quickly ordered a replacement keyboard, a few days later it was in. They originally wanted me to leave it with them for a day but they were able to replace it in fifteen minutes. Now the spacebar is working as it should. It is equally sensitive along the whole bar. If you have this problem go get it fixed.

thanks apple

-b

17. BiggeeC macrumors regular

You know what? After reading this post, I too realized that I have a problem with my space bar. I've had my ibook for almost 3 years now, and always had the problem. I just thought it was how it was supposed to be. I took the advice on pushing down really hard. What do you know? I heard a click on the right side (ie the trouble side) It now works wonderfully. I guess the stupid thing just wasn't in the right way. It took me 3 years to figure this out...........wow.

--Chris