Question about the rules of MR

Discussion in 'Community' started by rjrufo, Nov 25, 2003.

1. rjrufo macrumors regular

I've been planning on hiring a sales force to increase the sales of my web site development and hosting business, and I thought that MR would be a good place to look for good talent. I'm a bit reluctant to post to MR forums to advertise the positions available because I'm not sure if it would be considered inappropriate. I have seen posts for items for sale, but I just want to be sure that if I advertised for a job, it wouldn't cause my account to be banned.

So, my question is this: What are the rules for posting job openings in the forums?

No, I'm not posting this to advertise for any positions, I'm just asking for clarification of the rules. I may decide to limit the positions to my local area, since a world wide sales force could become too big, too quickly.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

good question.

And one that we haven't run into much. I suspect it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's done in designated areas.

There has been some talk about creating a networking sort of forum.

If any users want to toss in their 2cents, I'd be happy to hear it

arn

3. rjrufo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks arn,

What areas would be appropriate? I figured that the Community Discussion would be the safest, but if you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to follow them.

Also, this might not happen until after the first of the year, since the holidays aren't a good time to do much. I'm just getting prepared now, so that everything will be ready.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

arn, a networking forum sounds like a great idea. Most of us here are either students or professionals who use mac's all the time. this new forum could be great for people entering/transfering career fields related to macs.

After all, it's not what you know, but who you know.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm all for a networking forum, it's the only good idea for a new forum that i've heard yet. you may proceed with creating it. ;)

pnw

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, I already asked about 2 times about a place to live in New York without so much protocol. I didn't think that could carry a problem in the comunity, I have things other kind of networking going on any way but they are not as common to create a "networking" section any way. Now, that is what I have seen, if there is the traffic for that I think is a good idea.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The forum rules still say "If you are a business, looking to advertise on this site, you may contact us through the appropriate email" but I believe that was intended for product advertisements, and there is no official statement about job offerings. As the forums are set up now, I think threads for this purpose should be in the Marketplace and Classifieds forum.

Here is the thread where the discussion about networking was going on.

8. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I think it's a great idea, too. I'm always looking for people to fill teaching positions over here.

Squire

9. rjrufo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dr. Q, I must have missed that thread somehow. I just read through it, and I like the idea of the Employment/Networking sub-forum, that sounds like the place to post something like this.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The potential downsides of having an Employment sub-forum seem pretty unlikely to me:

* New threads and their posts dominating the forums and taking the convenience and enjoyment out of the news-related forums (more so than the Community Discussion forum).

* Large numbers of posts putting a strain on the server (more so than the Community Discussion forum).

* Commercial interests having too much of a presence or influence, or using MacRumors simply as a way to avoid the costs of paid placement services (more so than the existing Buy/Sell forum).

Are there other potential problems that pose a bigger danger?

In stating an acceptable use policy for the forums, would it make sense to distinguish personal and small business openings from those of larger corporations, with the difference left to common sense?

And, just to make it clear, arn, may rjrufo start a Classified thread now about his job openings, or should it wait until your decisions about new sub-forums are made?

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Good points, however it could be very useful for many small companies looking to fill positions, whatever their business.

Maybe a reply by PM only would be a good way to keep such a fourm clean, then you wouldn't have problems with spaming, personal attacks, etc...

Just a thought,.

12. rjrufo thread starter macrumors regular

Doctor Q,
    Thanks for asking whether I can start a new thread about my openings, but I'm not planning on doing anything until after the start of the new year. It seams to me after reading the sub-forums thread, arn would like to get the forums updated and the new categories added before then... if the new software comes out on time. That should give arn time to make his decision. I may even decide to not to post my openings in the forum, because of the potential of being overwhelmed with responses, but the idea did run through my head. I just wanted to be certain that if I did start a thread, I wasn't violating any rules.

Also, manitoubalck had a great idea, limit the responses to either PM or e-mail.

I don't know what the answer will be to all this, but when one is handed down, I'll abide by it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think arn's banned some of the plainly commercial people coming by tout companies, products, and such.

I could see that there might be a problem with commercial job spam if there was a hole for people to toss it in, but there is also a need for people to have a place to post job openings that members might want or find interesting.

Or to solicit help for projects, paid and unpaid.

Heck I would have started a thread for the recent macmice job opening if there was a place for it.

While some of us might have had a problem with Jack and/or find him a source of endless humor -- it's still a job that somebody here could have taken advantage of if they needed it.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

People posting job threads should immediately be IP banned, sent to jail, and be fined.

On a more serious note, I think job recruitment threads would be great! Im sure there is some jobless person (people) who is (are) perfect for the job(s) lurking around on the forums. I think many people could benifit form a job recruitment thread.

scem0

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There are some unscrupulous business types out there, mainly in MLM (think Vector Knives, Amway, Mary Kay, etc.) or pyramid scams. They would advertise under the guise of job opportunity.

We don't want that crap on the forums. Period. Be very careful.