Question about the RX-7

Discussion in 'Community' started by frescies, Aug 19, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Well... I have a feeling that I am not getting my stolen car back :( .

So, since I need my own transportation from work to school ASAP, I thought I'd ask you guys....

A guy I know has tried to get me to buy one of his Mazda RX-7's (he has 4.... he's obsessed). It's his '87 and it's in great shape (runs perfect and has about 100k miles on it). I'm quite mechanically inclined and I like to fix the little stuff that goes wrong in my cars. I also like cars that are somewhat reliable.

My question, I guess, is mostly about the rotary engine.... How reliable is it? Is it easy to work on? Is it efficient? Does it guzzle gas?

Those are a few of my questions :) . If anyone has had any experience with RX-7's or rotary engines, I'd love to hear what you have to say about 'em.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The older ones are pretty bullet proof from what I've heard. The later generation 3 had a few reliability issues, but a late 80's model is pretty sweet. I'd love to have an anniversary edition RX-7 turbo...mmm...if you do get that car, enjoy it, I'm sure it'd be a blast to drive.

3. PixelFactory macrumors regular

I've owned an '81 and an '83. The engine is pretty much bullet proof and love to be reved to high rpms. The only problem I have ever had was with the carb and that was do to the manual choke. RX-7s are as efficient as any sports car. About 20-25 mpg. Rotarys tend to use a lot of oil too. Just something to keep an eye on. I don't know about working on it but the engine only has a few moving parts compared to a piston engine.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, for a car from the 80's era, the RX-7 had pretty nice gas mileage and those rotary engines love those high rev shifts. The only problem is that most places have no clue how to work with rotary engines if you need engine work since they are so rare.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have a 1985 RX-7 and I had a 1974 RX-3 before it.

They are not typically good on gas. The 1985 was rated at 19 city and 30 highway. The models which don't have fuel injection require some attention to start. It's not difficult, but you must be consistent.

The engines on the 1981 and later models are very reliable, except the turbocharged models. There's little to go wrong with the engine itself with only 3 moving parts. Someone new at an oild change place was having a hard time selling me additives. Everything in the list he mentioned, the car didn't have. :D It's mostly other things like water pumps and fuel pumps which go bad.

I bought the 1985 with 103,000+ miles on it in1995 and drove it from Philly to Floriduh and back again. Then, packed it and made another run to move house. It now has over 156,000 miles.

Working on the RX-3 was pretty easy but the RX-7's engine bay is packed tight.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    the RX-7's are awesome cars, if only i could afford one and slot a renesis engine into it, that would be hella rude.

apparently, the rotor tips can wear down, and that sounds kinda pricey to me, and yeah, they drink a lot of gas. but hats off to Mazda for developing the wankel engine, it just gets better and better.

go for it