Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
My front right tire was patched about two months ago due to a nail driving straight into it. Ever since, the ride as been horrible. I check my pressure on a regular basis (less than i should), and about two weeks ago after the car sitting for a day, I read 24 pounds, down from 32, so I filled the tire. Well it still rides bad, so I checked the pressure again. Tonight I read 45 pounds. Would the tire still be hot enough to cause the increased pressure? (has been sitting for about four hours, keep in mind it is arizona).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
furryrabidbunny said:
My front right tire was patched about two months ago due to a nail driving straight into it. Ever since, the ride as been horrible. I check my pressure on a regular basis (less than i should), and about two weeks ago after the car sitting for a day, I read 24 pounds, down from 32, so I filled the tire. Well it still rides bad, so I checked the pressure again. Tonight I read 45 pounds. Would the tire still be hot enough to cause the increased pressure? (has been sitting for about four hours, keep in mind it is arizona).

It's possible the tyre was still hot, try again in the morning when it's cooler and ensure that all the tyres are at the same pressure, 32psi is about right depending on what sort of car you have but it should be OK. If you skidded or anything when the tyre was punctured then your wheels might be slightly out of alignment, a re-alignment and maybe a rotation could help.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Always check your tire pressure cold, is the rule-of-thumb.

Not sure what you mean by the ride being bad, but perhaps the tire is out of balance. Front or rear?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
safety first

Replace it and check your front wheels alignment and balance them.
The patch could cause unbalance and make that particualr tire to vibrate more than what it should, there you have more heat...
If your front suspension is misaligned you could expect hotter temperature in one particular tire, and depending on the exterior temperature...heat transfer...
By Federal laws I believe all 2007 Model year vehicles have a Tire Pressure monitoring system (not sure if all cars and trucks, or just the SUV)
________
starcraft 2 replay

Last edited:

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
furryrabidbunny said:

please clarify what is horrible about the ride. What's happening, and is it happening at a particular speed, that kind of thing...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
IJ Reilly said:
You need to wipe your seats and completely reinstall your engine.

Before he goes that far, he could simply try closing all the windows, shutting the car down, then restarting it... :D

But seriously, I just had a similar issue, having a tire repaired. You always want to have your tires rebalanced after being patched. That sounds like the ride issue.

The pressure issue sounds like the gage might not have read properly the first time. That it jumped up that much sounds suspicious to me, but maybe...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Was the nail in the tread or between the tread. It might be a tread separation or just as simple as an alignment problem. Or might be time to rotate the tires.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Snowy_River said:
Before he goes that far, he could simply try closing all the windows, shutting the car down, then restarting it... :D

I'm at a total loss as to what you guys are talking about. Either you guys are extremely brilliant, or I'm absurdly stupid. :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MACDRIVE said:
I'm at a total loss as to what you guys are talking about. Either you guys are extremely brilliant, or I'm absurdly stupid. :confused:
It's the old "if Microsoft made cars" joke.

B

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Snowy_River said:
You always want to have your tires rebalanced after being patched. That sounds like the ride issue.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The other alternative is that the damage to the tyre wasn't limited to to the nail, and that it may have caused problems with the structural strength of the tyre.

I've had tyres where the part of the sidewall has collapsed, and even though the tyre looked perfectly fine to the eye, the vibrations it caused whilst driving were immense.

tristan said:
Not to scare you, but if the patch wasn't done properly then the tire will get weaker and weaker and will basically fall apart while you're driving down the highway.

Having a damaged tyre patched sounds seriously sus to me, in the UK it's still reasonably popular to have inner tubes put inside tubeless tyres when they puncture in the quest to prolong the life of the tyre. :rolleyes:

I say pony up the £$€ and buy a new one (not a remould) it's not worth the risk to your own safety, not to mention the other drivers around you that may get caught up in your accident if it blows.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Vibration through the steering wheel is probably front wheel balance. Drifting will be wheel alignment in most cases - take it to your local tyre shop and see what they think... posing on MR isn't going to help really

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
iGav said:
Exactly what I'm thinking.

Having a damaged tyre patched sounds seriously sus to me, in the UK it's still reasonably popular to have inner tubes put inside tubeless tyres when they puncture in the quest to prolong the life of the tyre. :rolleyes:

It is perfectly normal to plug a tyre as long as the nail is in the 2/3 and not on the shoulder of the tyre... I've done it myself about 10k times when I worked for a tyre place for a couple of years.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
BakedBeans said:
It is perfectly normal to plug a tyre as long as the nail is in the 2/3 and not on the shoulder of the tyre... I've done it myself about 10k times when I worked for a tyre place for a couple of years.

I wouldn't risk it... I've had too many new tyres blow out on me to ever risk using a repaired damaged tyre.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
iGav said:
I wouldn't risk it... I've had too many new tyres blow out on me to ever risk using a repaired damaged tyre.

It isn't a risk to repair a tyre. Other wise it would be illegal. ALL the major tyre fitting companies do it, kwik fit, ATS, just tyres and others.

This isn't really an opinion so much as proven fact.

As for putting tubes in tubeless tyres, if you want a fatal accident, it is one to consider ;)
You need hte pressure directly on the tyre to seal the rim to the rim of the tyre.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
BakedBeans said:
It isn't a risk to repair a tyre. Other wise it would be illegal. ALL the major tyre fitting companies do it, kwik fit, ATS, just tyres and others.

It may well be legal (doesn't mean that it isn't riskier than a new tyre though, look at remoulds for example) but I wouldn't take the risk. As I said... I've had too many new tyres fail on me, to trust having them repaired.

Personal preference.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
balamw said:
It's the old "if Microsoft made cars" joke.

B

In a way. Where computers are concerned, these boards are famous for offering extreme solutions that'll be costly, time-consuming, and won't fix the problem. ;)

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
iGav said:
It may well be legal (doesn't mean that it isn't riskier than a new tyre though, look at remoulds for example) but I wouldn't take the risk. As I said... I've had too many new tyres fail on me, to trust having them repaired.

Personal preference.

Not knocking your experience....it does matter what type of driving you do, however. The streets you're on, offroad driving, cobblestones, and especially the quality of the tires. I've had a number of flats, but never a failure. I've always used top quality, performance tires, though. Even on my Jeep, I've researched the tire brands and bought the best I could find. If you lose traction on a turn, you can lose your entire car. Those four patches under the tires are the only contact you have with the road.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
If you drove on the tire when flat it could of messed up the tracking off the front wheels. You maybe want to look at that too. Its not a big job but it needs t be done by a pro with proper equip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.