Question about tire pressure...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, Sep 11, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

My front right tire was patched about two months ago due to a nail driving straight into it. Ever since, the ride as been horrible. I check my pressure on a regular basis (less than i should), and about two weeks ago after the car sitting for a day, I read 24 pounds, down from 32, so I filled the tire. Well it still rides bad, so I checked the pressure again. Tonight I read 45 pounds. Would the tire still be hot enough to cause the increased pressure? (has been sitting for about four hours, keep in mind it is arizona).

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's possible the tyre was still hot, try again in the morning when it's cooler and ensure that all the tyres are at the same pressure, 32psi is about right depending on what sort of car you have but it should be OK. If you skidded or anything when the tyre was punctured then your wheels might be slightly out of alignment, a re-alignment and maybe a rotation could help.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Always check your tire pressure cold, is the rule-of-thumb.

Not sure what you mean by the ride being bad, but perhaps the tire is out of balance. Front or rear?

4. McGiord, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

safety first

Replace it and check your front wheels alignment and balance them.
    The patch could cause unbalance and make that particualr tire to vibrate more than what it should, there you have more heat...
    If your front suspension is misaligned you could expect hotter temperature in one particular tire, and depending on the exterior temperature...heat transfer...
    By Federal laws I believe all 2007 Model year vehicles have a Tire Pressure monitoring system (not sure if all cars and trucks, or just the SUV)
    ________
    starcraft 2 replay

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

please clarify what is horrible about the ride. What's happening, and is it happening at a particular speed, that kind of thing...

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

32psi - 35psi is a good figure. My tires say 35psi right on them, so I don't let them get below 33psi.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You need to wipe your seats and completely reinstall your engine.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

:confused:

9. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Before he goes that far, he could simply try closing all the windows, shutting the car down, then restarting it... :D

But seriously, I just had a similar issue, having a tire repaired. You always want to have your tires rebalanced after being patched. That sounds like the ride issue.

The pressure issue sounds like the gage might not have read properly the first time. That it jumped up that much sounds suspicious to me, but maybe...

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Was the nail in the tread or between the tread. It might be a tread separation or just as simple as an alignment problem. Or might be time to rotate the tires.

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm at a total loss as to what you guys are talking about. Either you guys are extremely brilliant, or I'm absurdly stupid. :confused:

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's the old "if Microsoft made cars" joke.

B

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

imagine the insurance premiums after they crash all the time.:D

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Oh ... ok ... ;)

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

Not to scare you, but if the patch wasn't done properly then the tire will get weaker and weaker and will basically fall apart while you're driving down the highway.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The other alternative is that the damage to the tyre wasn't limited to to the nail, and that it may have caused problems with the structural strength of the tyre.

I've had tyres where the part of the sidewall has collapsed, and even though the tyre looked perfectly fine to the eye, the vibrations it caused whilst driving were immense.

Having a damaged tyre patched sounds seriously sus to me, in the UK it's still reasonably popular to have inner tubes put inside tubeless tyres when they puncture in the quest to prolong the life of the tyre. :rolleyes:

I say pony up the £$€ and buy a new one (not a remould) it's not worth the risk to your own safety, not to mention the other drivers around you that may get caught up in your accident if it blows.

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Vibration through the steering wheel is probably front wheel balance. Drifting will be wheel alignment in most cases - take it to your local tyre shop and see what they think... posing on MR isn't going to help really

18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It is perfectly normal to plug a tyre as long as the nail is in the 2/3 and not on the shoulder of the tyre... I've done it myself about 10k times when I worked for a tyre place for a couple of years.

19. iGav macrumors G3

I wouldn't risk it... I've had too many new tyres blow out on me to ever risk using a repaired damaged tyre.

20. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It isn't a risk to repair a tyre. Other wise it would be illegal. ALL the major tyre fitting companies do it, kwik fit, ATS, just tyres and others.

This isn't really an opinion so much as proven fact.

As for putting tubes in tubeless tyres, if you want a fatal accident, it is one to consider ;)
    You need hte pressure directly on the tyre to seal the rim to the rim of the tyre.

21. iGav macrumors G3

It may well be legal (doesn't mean that it isn't riskier than a new tyre though, look at remoulds for example) but I wouldn't take the risk. As I said... I've had too many new tyres fail on me, to trust having them repaired.

Personal preference.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In a way. Where computers are concerned, these boards are famous for offering extreme solutions that'll be costly, time-consuming, and won't fix the problem. ;)

23. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Not knocking your experience....it does matter what type of driving you do, however. The streets you're on, offroad driving, cobblestones, and especially the quality of the tires. I've had a number of flats, but never a failure. I've always used top quality, performance tires, though. Even on my Jeep, I've researched the tire brands and bought the best I could find. If you lose traction on a turn, you can lose your entire car. Those four patches under the tires are the only contact you have with the road.

24. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I wouldn't and wasn't trying to make you get tyres repaired, just make you aware that for a tenner you can get a completely safe repair.

I'm well out of that tyre game :D

25. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you drove on the tire when flat it could of messed up the tracking off the front wheels. You maybe want to look at that too. Its not a big job but it needs t be done by a pro with proper equip.