question about video compatibility/ encoding with handbrake

Discussion in 'iPod' started by marklight, Jun 26, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

So I just got the iPod Touch.
    I've ripped a large amount of my video collection to iTunes using handbrake and the default Apple TV setting as I also have an Apple TV. I went to put one of my Apple TV encoded video files onto my Touch, but it wouldn't work. So I noticed that in handbrake there's a setting that says insert iPod Atom. So now I'm somewhat disgruntled , because I'm thinking that I'm going to have to reconvert all of these files again.... Is there a way to insert the iPod Atom into existing ripped files without having to reconvert them (similar to how you add meta data ?)

- all the other specifications of the files are compatible with the iPod Touch.

***i just tried re-handbraking a file using apple tv presets plus the ipod atom and it doesnt work... I guess I thought it would work as when i ran a handbraked file through visualhub and used the ipod touch settings (go nuts) - the bit rate on the file that came out was essentially the same as the original handbraked file (2500).***

2. macrumors 6502

I'm no expert but I use the "classic" tab when I encode via Handbrake. I have been able to play the videos without the "iPod Atom" box checked.

3. macrumors 6502

OK, I did a little more research. For 5 and 5.5 generation iPods, you need to have the iPod Atom button clicked for it to work on your iPod. For the newer iPods, you don't need that feature clicked.