Question about video formats from Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gadgetgirl85, Apr 10, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hi I'm thinking of buying a video ipod (30 gig) just want to put a few movies on it, videos etc. I'm just wondering, are the videos purchased from Itunes in a particular format? Just wondering because in Australia they dont have anything like Desperate Housewives avail for purchase and all that so im wondering if its worth to buy if they are the only formats that can be put on the Ipod. Hope I made sense!

Cheers
    Vic

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, H.264 320x240 with some kind of DRM on them.

However the iPod itself can play any similar H.264/AVC file as long as the resolution and bitrate are within the right bounds. It can also play higher resolution and higher bitrate MPEG-4 files in a variety of containers.

Look at any of the plethora of posts on making your own videos for the iPod, or use iTunes or one of the specific software packages targeted at making that "easy".

B

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Cheers thanks. So basically any movie/video can be manipulated into the ipod just using the right software your saying?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes. Many sites even have videos for download that are already in the "iPod Video" format.