Question about Wi-Fi hot spots in NYC

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Jul 20, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    Well, I'm visiting New York City for a few days soon, and I was wondering how easy it was for my aluminum PowerBook to pick up a Wi-Fi signal. My friend says you can pick up a free signal almost anywhere 'cause of all the Starbucks n' such. Could anyone who visits/ lives in New York please tell me if picking up free Wi-Fi is that easy? Thanks:)
  2. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    Here is a great website to look through free wireless spots all over the USA. I just spent the past week in Boston with friends and had no trouble finding some free hotspots.

But I've never heard of Starbucks having free wi-fi. They provide T-Mobile Hotspots, as advertised, but those require an activating charge. You can purchase individual hours (I believe as little as one hour) and can also sign up for a monthly fee. They have T-Mobile brochures in their shop if they have it. Again, though, I have never been to a Starbucks with free wi-fi. None of the Starbucks I visited in Boston had free wi-fi, and none of the ones I've been to in VA do either.

Have fun in New York! Spend lots of money!