Question about Windows on MAC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jnardis, Dec 28, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

First, is it as easy as everyone says it is? I just got the new iMac and I'm a little worried about screwing it up?

Second, what happens if you get a virus on the windows side of the computer? Does it at all effect the Mac side?

Third, if I partition the hard drive to have Windows, is there a way to go back to full Mac? If so, is it hard to do?

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

First. Don't worry it's easy. Here's Apple's documentation for Boot Camp http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf a virtual machine install would be even easier. We're here to help.

Second. Generally, nothing. Without third party software Windows can't modify anything on the OS X side.

Third. See the guide I linked. Boot Camp Assistant can partition your drive and remove it later.

B

3. macrumors member

I share the same opinion:

1) Yes it is.

2) I've yet to hear of such a situation.

3) It's easier than the install.

4. macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Regarding getting a virus on Windows that could potentially infect the Mac partition, as long as you have a decent antivirus installed and you don't do any silly when browsing the internet and installing applications, you should be fine.

Other than that, I have never heard of a situation that a virus could jump from the Windows and infect that Mac.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the quick responses. I'm going to try to do it tonight so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again. LOL

6. macrumors 65816

Also install windows defender if you're installing XP. Defender is included in vista and windows 7 by default.