Question: Airport and USB Modems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Zaid, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

I've just ordered an Airport Extreme base station. I already have a USB ADSL modem (Alcatel Speedtouch USB) and would like to know if i could use this modem with the base station. I know the base station has a USB port, but the docs say that it's for a printer.

Will I be able to use the USB modem with the base station. If not, what type of ADSL modem can I use with the base station. For those in the UK, I'm using Freeserve Broadband are there any problems with Freeserve and using the base station for net access?

Thanks guys

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

You cannot connect the usb modem to the base station. However the alcatel speed touch home will connect to the base station - though its an awful modem, anything with an ethernet jack should work. Though the speedtouch is dodgy.

3. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

The speedtouch is the USB modem, so i take it that it won't work.
    thanks

4. conceptdev macrumors regular

no there is also a model called the "speed touch home" which has an ethernet and atm port on the back-plate. Which works with the airport but is prone to tantrums.

5. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is not the one I have, I've got a SpeedTouchUSB.(And yes it too throughs tantrums ocassionally :) ) Thanks for the help though conceptdev.

Anyway I found this modem online, it seems to fit the bill perfectly. Has anyone had any experience with it?

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

zaid,

In theory those specifications are perfect.

7. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for the help concept.

I just ordered it this morning, it should arrive at about the same time as the base station. :)