Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hello,

I'm looking to outfit my LC III with an ethernet port and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to find an LCD PDS ethernet card other than eBay or welovemacs.com. The prices seem a bit steep on both sites. For that matter, any ideas where to grab an ADB keyboard and mouse?

Regards,
mac1984user

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
You could post a WTB on 68kmla.org website...

Or, if you are willing to reconsider ebay, I bought this exact card and put it in my 475. It's great. Pretty sure they would ship to UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macintosh-C...598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dc7fa936

That exact item was already on my wishlist! With your endorsement, I better make it a reality. I had an offer on the LowEndMac forums, but that person hasn't gotten back to me after I agreed; seems I may be going with the Farallon. I take it the device needs the drivers to function rather than operate just on Apple's alone?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The supplied floppy appears to contain v2.3 of the Farallon universal installer for PN590, PN592, PN594, PN596, PN890, PN892 cards which are the NuBUS cards (including the LC PDS cards PN592).

It's the last version Farallon produced for the cards before being taken over by Proxim. Proxim never updated it.

The installer contains the old 'Classic Networking" stack from Apple's own "Network Software Installer ZM-1.4.5" which was the last for System 6

If you have System 7.x or later, you can get "Network Software Installer ZM-1.5.1 directly from Apple here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...twork_Software_Installer/ZM-NSI_1.5.1.sea.bin

This will update AppleTalk to v58.1.5 and Network Control Panel to v3.0.2

Or, you can ignore all this and it will work. :eek: Just adding additional info and resources. :)

Additional reading about AppleTalk versions can be done here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27937

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Hello,

I'm looking to outfit my LC III with an ethernet port and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to find an LCD PDS ethernet card other than eBay or welovemacs.com. The prices seem a bit steep on both sites. For that matter, any ideas where to grab an ADB keyboard and mouse?

Regards,
mac1984user

If I can find a keyboard and mouse in my stash you can have them, might be a bit rough but get you started. Postage cost only :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Just adding additional info and resources. :)

That was extremely helpful information, and it was very kind of you to go into such detail and provide useful links. I feel much more secure about my purchase following your info.

----------

If I can find a keyboard and mouse in my stash you can have them, might be a bit rough but get you started. Postage cost only :)

You've got yourself a deal! Thanks so much. I've PMed you. =)

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
You could post a WTB on 68kmla.org website...

Or, if you are willing to reconsider ebay, I bought this exact card and put it in my 475. It's great. Pretty sure they would ship to UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macintosh-C...598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35dc7fa936

This is just a short note to say that the Farallon ethernet adapter for the LC PDS port work wonderfully with the LC III. I used the disk that came with it, as I figured that's what it's there for.

I am happily file sharing between my LC III and my PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.4.11. There's apparently a rather involved process to get it working under modern Mac OS versions; I went through that whole process, got to the last couple of steps and ran into hurdle I just couldn't get past. For those interested, it's detailed here:

http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopic.php?t=2978

In any case, being able to access installation files from a shared folder makes using a classic Mac SO much more enjoyable, particularly since hours splitting files using 'Split & Join' and making endless floppies is something I don't have time for.

In any case, all the best to you all. Oh, and special thanks to mkjj for organising the delivery of a keyboard and mouse.

LesCharles73

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2016

Thank you for posting this! The link surprisingly still works. I just bought one for my LC III.

On a somewhat-related side note... My LC is running system 7.1 and has Microsoft Word installed. I love the experience of using the computer so much that I'd really like to use it for all my word processing (which isn't much, just occasional short papers). Is there a way to get this to communicate with a modern printer? I don't have any other Macs in my collection (modern or otherwise, unfortunately), but I do have a Dropbox and Google Drive. My workhorse printer is a Brother HL-L234ODW running wireless since the router is in an inconvenient part of the house. If I need to, I can get a different printer for the Mac.

Is this idea at all doable?

Reactions: ironjaw

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
You ended on a cliff-hanger. Oh I wish that also was the case. I just bought a LC475 and am looking for the same solution. Any progress? How do lie your LC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.