question bout startup on new pb

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by broncoball, Oct 25, 2005.

1. broncoball macrumors regular

hi i am going to be buying my first mac somtime this week. a powerbook 12 inch. and was wondering if you have to charge it up for a set amount of time to get the best use outa the battery or if you can just start using it right away?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

While they come with a LITTLE bit of charge, I'd plug it in and GO NUTS!

Charge it up to 100%, then use it until it goes to sleep.

do that about once a month... it'll keep your battery minty fresh!

and congrats on the new Mac. They're real swell :)

3. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

by saying go nuts do u mean go nuts using it or go nuts waiting to use it?

4. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

You can use it, just make sure you use it while it's on battery power. Man, if they made you just stare at the gorgeous thing without using it...we'd all be nuts.

5. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

o because i thought just like most electronics like when i bought my ipod they advised me to fully charge it before use to get the most outa the battery, so with the powerbook i can just plug it in and use it while its plugged?

6. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

wat do u mean by on battery power does thay mean when its plugged in or not?

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Basically, when you get it:
    1. Take it out of the box. Don't touch the power button.
    2. Plug the charger into the side of it. It should light up orange. Don't do anything until it turns green.
    3. When it's green, unplug it, then start it up and use it or whatever until the battery has drained enough for it to go to sleep. Next, plug it in and do whatever you want, it's calibrated. From now on you can plug and unplug it as you wish. :)

8. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

thankyou for clarifying that now i just hope i can go get it tonight.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Not exactly true, you can use the computer while it charges - doesn't matter if it's the first time used or the last :rolleyes:
    Just take it out of the box, plug it in, watch the little cool Mac OS X Tiger intro.. it's sweet!! and just do whatever you want on the computer... once it's fully charged, get a damn movie and watch it to drain the battery... do that a few times.

:)

11. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

This is what I did. Ome people will call me crazy or whatever, I'm just doing what Apple told me and what I've been doing all along, even though some people will tell me thats outdated NI-MH, it doesnt hurt me to do this on my new 1000+ machine. It's pretty hard to find info on this, so I just go by Apples info on initilizing it by going to sleep and by info from Motorola which I use for all my new batteries:

http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/cellular_batterytips.html

1. When I brought my ibook, I opened it, didn't touch it, just plugged it in and let it charge for 16 hours.

2. Then per Apple's instructions, I unplugged it, I turned it on for the first time and used it till it went to sleep.

3. While still asleep I plugged it back in and let it charge for another 16 hours without touching it.

After this I just unplugged it, brought it back from sleep and used it normally. Only ongoing thing I can say, is you can plug it in to charge at any charge level but NEVER unplug if it's not fully charged, in other word once you plug it in, you commit yourself to not unplug till the light is green again in order to maintian top battery condition.

While many people here will think that this is silly or whatever, I didn't lose anything. I've also satisfied myself by knowing I've done the most I can do to make sure I get maximum battery life. Besides I have other things to do, I went to schol, ate food, slept, etc... while it was charging. It didn't hurt me one bit and I suggest you do what I did.

12. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

all of you are telling me different things, so which should i do?

13. yenko macrumors 6502a

Read the manual that comes with the computer. :rolleyes:

14. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Once you get it, Plug it in. Them boot it up WHILE IT IS STILL PLUGGED IN. Then once it is 100% charged, unplug it and go! That is what I do everytime and I have no problems.

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king