Question: Cost of Leopard Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSub, Feb 20, 2007.

1. JSub macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2007
    Hello all,
    I was planning to wait till Spring to buy a MacBook Pro with Leopard already installed, but I just came across a deal I cant refuse. I was wondering if I could get an price estimate of how much it would cost to upgrade the current OSX to Leopard at a later time? Would it be a simple software update download with a fee, or do I have to go out and buy the software package at a store? Would the upgrade even be necessary?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2005
    Leopard will probable cost $129.

It definitely will not be free.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    you don't have to upgrade if you don't think the what leopard offers is attractive enough.

you'll have to buy boxed version from store when it just comes out

the price will be likely to be $129 (79 for educational)
  4. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    If it's the same price as the current one, it'll be $129.

I would think you want the original DVD since it's an operating system, it can be shipped to you though.

No, the upgrade is not necessary. You can still use your computer. ;)
  5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
  6. joekix macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2007
    earth, long beach CA to be exact
    just wondering what you think a fair price is?
  7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    £30 with education discount. The cost of 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 is rather large - it all adds up. The hardware wasn't exactly cheap either. 10.5 will just add more lumber I don't need like Time Machine, the way 10.4 added Dashboard.

I can see myself spending yet another £70 or so and doing the same as everyone else on the internet - trying to kid myself it was totally worth it.

Ah well. I knew what I was getting into with Apple!
  8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    If it only adds stuff you don't need, then don't upgrade. It's cheaper. ;)
  9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

Jan 9, 2007
    Just saw the MS Office ultimate going for $749.00 LOL the biggist rip of all time.
  10. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Until other products I use upgrade their versions and require 10.5 or new products I want to use require 10.5 - especially Intel binaries or Apple fixes for things like the humming screen (if they ever make one - it's just an example). The Intel releases of Office and Photoshop will probably require 10.5. New games (haha) may want 10.5.

For my PowerBook, which can run Office 2004 just fine, this isn't an issue. For my 24" iMac, it is.
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    No, I'm pretty sure it the other way around. Whatever it is, Apple is giving us a deal. Honestly OS X kick any other OS's in most things, and even more so for the average user, as it really does "just work"
    Then I would say you "want" OS X 10.5...because your don't "need" those new Apps, I'm sure the old ones will do most of what you want, maybe a bit slower but still do it.
  12. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    I definitely need non-emulated native applications for this ridiculously expensive machine I bought. Of course, I could have bought a ridiculously expensive but out-dated machine. I chose not to. The new Office looks very pretty and I am tired of typing lag.

As for the suggestion that I should feel grateful towards Apple for allowing me to give them my money...!!
  13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    full version of bootcamp is useful =P..spaces looks good too b\c i'm sure it'll be better done than virtuedesktops...tho virtuedesktops is good already

idk..i'm waiting to get my mbp until santa rosa anyways =P
  14. Binford macrumors member

Feb 15, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I guess I'm lucky. My campus store offers prices even below the educational discount amount. We got Tiger for $69, so i'm guessing that's what Leopard will be too. I got my MBP for $1729
  15. emac82 macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2007
    NB, Canada
    I think OS X sells for a very reasonable price. It is $149CAD, compared to $299 for Vista Ultimate (Upgrade).

Also, usually Apple offers a discounted upgrade to customers who have recently purchased a Mac computer. When Tiger came out it was like $9.99US to go to Tiger from recently purchased Panther machines. I think it was like within a 2 month period.
  16. Binford macrumors member

Feb 15, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Wow!! I hope that's the case, and Leopard really does come out in March!!
  17. s e y t o n macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2007
    why wouldnt it be free? dell is giving free vista upgrades to all computers purchased after 10/26/06....

that sucks..
  18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The discount applies only to people who purchase a machine without Leopard AFTER the shipping announcement.

If you buy the machine the day before the shipping announcement, "technically" you are not a candidate for the $19.95 up-to-date program.
  19. zign macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    £70 every 2-3 years isn't that much... It's less than 1/2 cigarette a day or 10p a day for 2 years.
  20. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    OS X upgrades are a steal, IMO. You get a bunch of added functionality, plus I'd say a nice speed increase for $129. Not sure yet if Leopard will be $129, but I'd say it most likely will be.

When I upgraded my old eMac to Tiger when it first came out, I seen a very nice speed increase, plus all the features it added. Hell, the speed increase and spotlight alone were worth $129 to me.
  21. zign macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Exactly!!! I can't even imagine not having spotlight.
  22. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    Will it matter where I buy Leopard? For example, if I bought it in the US (which will no doubt undercut the UK) would it be exactly the same version?
  23. hollerz macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2006
    Durham, UK
    your still paying for it though... yeah they will of got the vista disk or whatever when it came out for "free", but it will of been included in the price of the computer.
  24. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2006
    London, UK
    Wow, I never heard that before. I hope it's right, I've just bought a MacBook. No regrets though, even if Leopard arrives sooner than we are expecting.

How soon was 'recently purchased', by the way?
  25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I the past it's not been a strict number of months. It's been all machines purchased on or after the day an actual release date was announced. As the release date has not been announced you will not qualify.