Question... (Crying at TV Shows)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Allotriophagy, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Do you ever cry whilst watching television dramas like, for example, 'Six Feet Under' or 'Grey's Anatomy'?

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

No I don't but I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for that information about the G5 in the G5 thread.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Funny you mention Six Feet Under, as it really got to me at times, too.

I guess I don't watch much TV (not meant as some uppity tv condemnation thing, just where I'm at). I do cry during movies, often movies that catch me off guard. Like Big Fish. Like, I really didn't like the movie (enough about fathers and sons already, for god's sake). And, afterward I felt pretty manipulated by the movie. But, yeah. It still was terribly sad.

I guess it depends on the mood you bring with you, too.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I cried when I watched the series finale of Six Feet Under.

Best finale of any show. Ever. Ever.

EDIT:

Six Feet Under = Best show. Ever.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I completely agree! It made me cry as well. I've actually been meaning to buy the DVD.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not generally, although I have been known to tear up occasionally. Especially now that I have kids if it's child-related.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was able to get the huge box set with all of the seasons for $142 (USD), thanks to a huge sale + coupons. Great deal, considering the seasons are $99 each. Even at normal price, the box set is a steal. I think it's somewhere around $250 normally.

8. Allotriophagy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean, I am sitting here watching 'Grey's Anatomy' and I am CRYING my eyes out over nothing.

Some context:

1) My sister was recently sectioned (again) for trying to kill herself (again) with a heroin overdose, slashing her arms to shreds and setting herself on fire- she escaped, assaulted three police officers and is (again) in prison;

2) My mother had a heart attack and collapsed lung in January, spent seven weeks in a coma during which she had a stoke, regained consciousness and is blind;

3) I have absolutely no financial support from anyone but myself and work nights to put myself through a mediocre law school when I should be back in Oxford and have had to leave in my third year so I can go and deal with all my family crap;

4) My finances are so grim as I struggle to to pay all my bills with no hope of getting clear and the hole only gets deeper;

5) The upstairs bathroom which I share with four spoiled inconsiderate brats is awash with pubes and piss which I know I will have to clean up because nobody else cares about the smell;

6) My health, my health! You should see my abdomen! I could shave my head, wear lipgloss and earn money as pregnant Britney Spears...

...and I've not cried once! And yet McMally here on Scrubs For Grownups is facing down a drunk anaesthesiologist and I am all BOO TO THE HOO.

It is infuriating, trying not to cry at this prattlecrap but here I am with the shoulders of my tshirt soaking wet from drying up the tears.

I am so glad I sold my SFU box sets and no longer have the complete works of John Irving. I DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT SALT THANKS TO TELEVISION.

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

That hardly seems the case.

Seems like you're a real center of gravity. So, you can step back, you can see everything objectively enough to list it, but that doesn't mean you can disentangle it from a more cool and distant input.

The world around us is a constant, pounding metaphor for the world within us. Sometimes it's the simplest, most external things that allow us to safely displace our heaviness.

I hope things feel lighter for you soon.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Nothing beats a good cry.

And I think crying at TV and maintaining a stiff upper lip in life is normal. It's OK to cry at TV. There's no risk and no harm. Crying at real life is harder because unlike TV, the show doesn't end and nothing gets neatly wrapped up.

Best of luck, and I hope you can keep on truckin'.

11. Allotriophagy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is possibly the nicest form in which I have ever seen "You are typically Scottish." expressed. :D

Assuming that mass-produced, hyper-financed, mega-fictional television drama counts as "external" or "simple", of course.

Truthfully, my heaviness is not a result of the problems which are technically those of family members but of my inability to recognise them as such. Which is a shame but also, in a way, rather amusing. To me at least, when I am in the mood for such things.

I do not know...I do not know...

Things I recently cried at:

1) Six Feet Under
    2) Grey's Anatomy
    3) Sex and the City (the book)
    4) Brideshead Revisited (Radio 4 adaption)
    5) My beige G3 with OS8.5 crashing (had to go to the toilet)
    6) The mad woman on the 62 bus who screams if you look at her
    7) The back garden gate swelling up in the recent rain and not being able to shut it anymore

We should all buy more Apple hardware, dammit! Time for another 24" iMac.

12. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

nothin wrong with crying at all...i do everyone does

13. Allotriophagy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well...you do seem to have all sorts of...problems with girls. Which I can only dream about, of course.

If I see Dr.Alex smirk whilst hiding his sensitive soul one more time, I shall cancel the Virgin Media subscription.