question for an expert or current G4 1ghz owner

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gena, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Gena macrumors newbie

just want to make sure that these machines can be connected to two monitors, that split (not mirror), and that theres nothing special i am going to need in order to connect two?

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yes.

Any new G4 tower, and most old ones will connect (not mirror) 2 monitors. You just have to make sure the graphics card has "dual monitor support"

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: question for an expert or current G4 1ghz owner

it will ship with connections for an ADC and standard VGA. The ADC is used to connect one of Apple's LCD Displays and the VGA is for a regular CRT type monitor. assuming your video card supports dual monitors or "extended desktop", you will be able to do it right out of the box if you have an Apple Studio display and a regular CRT. If you have say, 2 CRTs or 2 Studio displays you will need te buy the appropriate adapters, which you can get right from the Apple online store. Your other choice would be to buy a second video card with the connections you need.

4. Gena thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thank you.

and they can basically be any kind of monitor right? ie, i dont HAVE to drop 1000 bucks on a flat screen, correct?

5. Gena thread starter macrumors newbie

to tjwett

hey--thanks. that is helpful as well. i dont have a lot of experience with the hardware side of things, so... i have another question.

as it ships, can i connect 1 flat screen display, and 1 old, kinda ghetto pc monitor, without buying an addition card?

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: to tjwett

exactly! this is assuming ofcourse that the card supports it. i believe all the stock cards being offered in new PowerMacs have this support. you could look on Apple's site to be sure. always glad to help a fellow NYer.