Question for burning dvd's with AIFF and MPEG files.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knobtwiddler, Aug 23, 2004.

1. knobtwiddler macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Hi, I'm trying to burn a dvd with two separate AIFF files. I know they have to be converted to a VIDEO_TS folder etc, but I'm not sure how. I have DVD Studio Pro 2.0.5, cinema tools 2.2, compressor 1.2.1, and final cut pro 4.5. I figure at least one of these programs should be able to help. I think dvd studio can do it. Any tips on how to do it. also, if i wanted to burn a dvd with mpg files instead of aiff would I need to use the same methods as with AIFF's?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

AIFF is audio and MPEG has multiple versions.

AIFF on a DVD seems sort of... pointless? Burning an audio or MP3 CD would be better.

Which version of MEPG do you want to work with? 1, 2 or 4?

3. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

I guess I should've been a bit more specific. i'm using mpeg-2 files. What I have is a whole movie in the form of 2 aiffs. Combined they are bigger than 700MB, so this rules out the possibility of burning a VCD, hence I need to burn the movie on a dvd in order to watch on my television.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Pro enough to buy Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc but can't figure out an easy problem like this? Something's rotten in Denmark.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Once again, AIFF is a lossless audio format--you know, sound! If you have two AIFF files, in all probably they were copied from audio CDs.

6. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Ok, everyone. I'm really sorry. I saif AIFF file for some reason and I meant AVI. btw, I use these programs at school, so that's why i'm not "pro enough to own final cut pro" thanks for the feedback though and sorry for the aiff/avi fiasco

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I think you can do this in iDVD, so I would imagine you could in DVD Studio Pro as well--just be sure whatever app you're using supports your file formats. I think I've imported mpegs into iDVD. I wouldn't bet to on avi working though. You'd probably have to convert it to mov, mpg, or dv. You can search on versiontracker.com for a conversion app. Personally I'd use Quicktime to convert everything to dv (QT Pro and the mpeg-2 playback component are well worth their prices!) and drag those into iDVD.

Actually, try it my way--I think FCP installs some extra Quicktime functions so you might be able to convert all your stuff to dv. If you have the right support installed there's a program called Streamclip that's great for converting mpeg to dv.

So you're right, the DVD authoring software will take care of the video_ts folder for you, but you have to feed the DVD software the right kind of file.

8. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Toast would be the easiest way to make the into a DVD.
    Open Toast, select the video tab, on the side pannel select DVD Video, drop your avi files into the toast window & Burn!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can certainly import any file for which you have a QuickTime codec into iMovie. Once you have finished your masterpiece, you call iDVD to burn it to DVD. Just download and install your favorite DivX codecs for the AVI files. Everything else is already on your Mac.