Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
I have these speakers and they're great except I hate where the on/off switch is located. Do you turn your speakers off when not in use or do you just leave the on all the time? (I think Harmon Kardon recommends that you turn them off). Just wondering if it would shorten the life considerably to just leave them on.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
I can't speak for every set, but I left mine on 24/7 and the subwoofer died after a year (almost to the day). I don't know what died in particular, I just know that the system no longer works.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
kanker said:
I can't speak for every set, but I left mine on 24/7 and the subwoofer died after a year (almost to the day). I don't know what died in particular, I just know that the system no longer works.

I e-mailed Harmon Kardon and they do recommend that you turn the off when not in use. It's just kind of a pain as I have the subwoofer under my desk. Most of the time I shut them off at night before I go to bed. I was just curious to see what everybode else does and if it has affected their speakers one way of another. My partner has the soundsticks and iSub and they stay on 24/7 but I don't believe there is a shut off switch...think they are meant to stay on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.