Question for EyeTV 200 and Eyehome users

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cwright, Jul 26, 2005.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

As many of you may know, I've been looking at adding an AlchemyTV tuner card to my G5 to use during college (in less than a month!!) ... but I'm now considering the EyeTV200 + Eyehome combo. It is more expensive, but I can get both units refurbished for $328 total, which isn't too bad. The reason I'm thinking this would be better is that I'm living in a suite-style dorm. There are 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, shower, etc and a big living room. So most TV watching will probably be in the living room, not on my computer screen. I do, however, have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for on Elgato's website:

1. Does the Eyehome support the h.264 codec in the .mp4 or .mov wrapper?
    2. Can the Eyehome be configured to find an iTunes library that has been moved to a secondary drive?
    3. Can the RCA inputs on the EyeTV 200 also be used as outputs and be used in Final Cut Pro as a digital–analog converter for previewing edits on a TV?
    4. Any general opinions on either unit? I'm curious to know if you guys think it's a good buy.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon enough, but I'd appreciate any feedback on these for now.

Thanks!

2. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I can only answer your questions about the Eyehome because I don't own the EyeTV.

Eyehome does not support h.264 in any form... yet. I emailed Elgato and they said "We might work on it." Yeah, thanks a lot.

Eyehome can follow aliases, so as long as you put an alias to the actual library file in the Music folder, it will be able to find it. Same goes for movies (in the Movies folder).

Eyehome is generally good, if you can get over the cheap feel to it and understand its limitations. As long as you only expect it to play your movies, songs, and pictures and nothing much else, it works quite well.

irmongoose

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Regarding #3, I don't think so. You can hook up a VCR or something to convert the analog to digital, but it won't lt you output through it as far as I know.

For #4, I am happy with Eye TV - lets me watch TV when I want to without having to add a TV to an already cramped office. And great for recording video - I haven't used the VCR since once since I got this...

Regarding the EyeHome questions, I don't know...don't own one...