question for firefox users..about tabs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abhishekit, Apr 8, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

HI
    i downloaded firefox just now...now i m not able to open a new tab by clicking middle mouse button..as with safari...
    How do i do that?
    thanks

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You can right-click and select "open in new tab" or "open in new window".

I believe there's a preference that'll define the behavior you want, where a middle-click opens in new tab by default.

3. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    ive gotta q too

ok i use FireFox .8 and when i try to open a new tab (windows) (ctrl+t) nothing happens! i just want a blank tab. i have to go to file>new tab. why is this? is this a bug?

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

one more question

i know all mozilla browsers use gecko. was safari based off of firefox? they look so similar! is safari a gecko browser? :confused:

5. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

cmd+t opens a new blank tab...
    and safari is not gecko based..its KHTML based...

cheers..

p.s. still dont know how to use middle mouse btn to open new tab... :eek:

6. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

NO NO NO. Safari is based on Konqueror... which is KDE's browser (that's a Linux GUI). They don't look at all alike to me.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The engine in Konqueror is called KHTML. The version of KHTML that Apple built into MacOS X is called WebCORE. With version 4.5, OmniWeb switched its browser engine to WebCORE.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not related to the topic at all, but how do I use my middle scroll-wheel button to open a new tab in Mozilla Firebird. It works on Mozilla on my PC machine, and on Safari as well. No luck in Mozilla Firebird on my PB. :confused:

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think this may be broken in current builds. I just used "about:config" to look at all my settings, and the value browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick is set to true. So it should be working for me, but isn't.

BTW typing about:config in the address bar (where URLs normally go) lets you see everything that can be changed in Firefox; perhaps in Mozilla too, I don't know. It gives you access to a lot of options that aren't accessible through the preferences/options window.

10. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

thats is just the topic.... :D :D

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

i thot that they did. someone post a safari screen shot and ill post this firefox one and you can see y i think so. (i dont have my PB with me) thanks for the info on safari not being based on gecko. i still think they look similar (ff and safari)

Attached Files:

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oh, I see what you're saying. How they look, though, has nothing to do with the core technologies underneath.

Firefox looks like Safari because the Firefox developers came up with a default theme that is as "Mac-like" as possible. You can get other themes, though, that make it look completely different. Older versions of Firefox didn't fit in with the Mac look nearly as well.

13. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

here you go

notice how the text differs quite dramatically, this is true for both platforms in firefox IIRC.

Attached Files:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does FireFox allow you to force all new windows into tabs, or something like this? I really love tabbed browsing, and I like how Safari does a pretty good job of stopping pop-up spam, but I'd like it if all legitimate attempts to open something in a new window, like off-site links on many sites, were diverted to new tabs. If it was really inventive, it would natch this for requests that call out small windows (for requesters)....

Or am I dreaming? :)

15. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yes it allows that...actually with some plugins (you have to download plugins for getting specific features) you can rearrange the tabs, even change tabs with middle mouse button..
    the only reason, i m using safari more ..even aftr downloading firefox 3 days back...is that i couldnt find a way to open external links in tabs by the third btn of the mouse..yah...i m too lazy to press option and mouse...

cheers

16. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

17. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Works for me. Get the latest nightly. Seems to be working again as of yesterday's build. Though I noticed it now says it's Firebird again instead of Firefox in the "File" menu. Oh well...

Been playing with Omniweb beta lately. Pretty neat. Kind of need a widescreen monitor to enjoy it though.