Question for Grant Proposal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kashchei, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have a grant proposal due tomorrow and I'm wondering if the AppleTV is the solution to my problem. I need to view DVDs as well as have internet access in classrooms. I'm thinking of having a mini in each class as well as an AppleTV to view the DVDs. Here's my question: will AppleTV stream DVDs ripped and imported into iTunes or only video bought through iTunes? This is a deal breaker for me--iTunes doesn't stock many operas or ballets (I'm a music professor)--so any info you have will help me enormously!

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It will be virtually unthinkable that the AppleTV will solely stream purchased iTunes content. There will however be no built-in tool to rip DVD's to iTunes (Handbrake, etc is needed). A smarter move however might be to go all-Mini. Then you also have the option to show impromptu DVD's and CD's.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The point of the apple tv is that you wouldn't need both a mini and an apple tv. The mini can do everything apple tv can do. So I would skip apple tv and just use minis.

A riskier move -- without having apple tv in hand -- is to use just 1 or 2 computers, with apple tv in every classroom.

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks so much for the wonderful idea! What type of connection would I need in order to connect the mini to the TV, how long can these connections be, and what type of tv would I need (would any work or would I need HD)?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Mini can connect to most TVs, but it'll be easier + higher quality (obviously) on hi-def.

These are the major standards by which TVs connect to computers, and what you'd need to get a Mac connected to them. Any of these should be able to sustain a long wired path (e.g. 50ft or so).

In order from best quality down:

1) HDMI (HDTV only) does audio and digital video, need an HDMI <- DVI + audio converter cable.

2) DVI (HDTV only) does high quality digital video, just need a DVI cable (this is the port on the Mini.

3) VGA (HDTV mostly) does high quality analog video, need an Apple converter from DVI to VGA

4) Component (HDTV mostly) does high quality analog video, I'm not sure what this converter looks like, but it can be done.

5) S-Video (SDTV mostly) does lower quality analog video, need an Apple DVI-to-Video converter

6) Composite (SDTV mostly) does lowest quality analog video, need an Apple DVI-to-Video converter.

The general rule with the connectors is that:
    - HDTVs vary widely, but will pretty much always have #4 usually several of the other options, including 5-6. Almost any HDTV will have at least one of options 1-3.

- SDTVs will mostly just have 6, and the nicer ones will have 5+6.

- Projectors usually have either (3, 5, 6) or (2, 3, 5, 6).

Depending on how you do this, if you use a projector (not that expensive, but plan for maintenance costs related to the bulbs, or they will burnt out over time and you won't have a solution) or an HDTV, you can use it as a screen / monitor as well to present any kind of web material from the computer in good quality -- web particularly and powerpoint also will be a little on the fuzzy side if you use options 5-6 on the list (it'll be fine with any of the options 1-4).

6. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for the detailed response to my post! The grant proposal was submitted today with a request for 50 new Macs! Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know if fortune smiles on this proposal.