Question for iBook G3 owners…

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by me_94501, Sep 29, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

me_94501

More specifically, G3 iBook owners who have had a logic board replaced since Apple instituted the iBook logic board repair program: How has your logic board held up since being replaced? I had mine replaced twice before (though before the repair program was institued) and I'm about to send it in you yet another new logic board, so I'm curious how others have faired since the institution of the repair program.

2. macrumors regular

I had my iBook in three times before it qualified for a logic board replacement. It exhibited all symptoms of the logic board issue, but originally didn't qualify. Eventually, it did, and they took it in again, only for it to return with the exact same issue right out of the box.

They very kindly sent me a new iBook G4 and some bells and whistles. Still, it was a bitch...very stressful

My advice is to create as much of a paper trail and history of the issue trying to be resolved as possible and put Apple on the spot, asking them at what point you'll get a replacement since obviously they can't solve the problem with your computer.

I've been there, buddy...

N.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

Well, I have all the proof-of-repair certificates from the previous two repairs. Quite frankly I'm just about fed up. I'm about ready to call them back tomorrow, ask about a replacement, and cancel the repair if I can get a replacement out of it. (I probbly won't; mine's all scratched up, so there's no anxiety over it getting scratched any worse. ;) )

4. macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G3 and have never heard of this logic board problem. What is it and what are the symptoms? Is it common?

5. macrumors regular

I remember quite clearly - Four times it went into Apple and five times it was left or taken into the local Apple Store. After the fourth time, that's when they offered the replacement with little chiding on my part.

My advice is, if you have the warranty, time and can spare the patience, take it into the Apple Store and offer it to a Genius, knowing well that they probably can't help you. Then send it in again. Basically, show that you've made a very good-faith effort on your part to resolve the issue.

I think that they need at least three attempts to repair the computer before replacing it, and you definitely don't want to call up and sound like a guy who's tired of his antiquated G3 and wants a current G4....Let them offer it to you....

Basically, they need to aggree that "repairing" your computer is yielding no result, so they'll need to do something else.

N.

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm on my second board, but I really think this one's a winner.
    -Kevin

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I thought mine was a winner too. But I think mine has been slowly failing for the last couple months; the video would sometimes be briefly scrambled after waking it from sleep and would flicker when I closed the lid.

9. macrumors regular

My 2nd board, in addition to KPing constantly, showed worse artifacts than the original. It was sent in several more times, the issue was never received. I type this as a happy Apple customer, though, on a nice shiny iBook G4. :D I just hope this one doesn't end up being as troubled as its older brother. On the other hand, the thought of getting a new computer free every three years is pretty appealing. ;) Just hold out, though; if they can't fix it (honestly, I really think they don't know what the problem is), you will get what you deserve in the end (with a bit of poking and prodding on your part).

10. macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have a G3 800 iBook and I only had to send it in once so far (had it for a a little over a year.) It was done very quickly by Apple Japan (picked up on a Saturday, returned Monday night.)

Recently though, the battery has crapped out on me. If I leave it unplugged for 2 days or more, it completely dies :mad: I, personally, have lost faith in iBooks and so I went out and bought a 12" PB (used, good price) instead.

11. macrumors 68000

varmit

I think the reason why they gave a new G4, is because they have to. I believe its a leamon law or something companies go by, that if a product is returned 3 times for the same repair, they have to replace it. I guess they are out of G3 iBooks, so you go an upgrade to the G4.

12. macrumors 68000

wPod

been there done that. mine died the first time under warntee (i didnt get apple care, why get a computer repaired for 3 years if i am sending it in for repairs every 2 months?!) i had battery problems on top of the logic board. so the second time the logic board died i set aside the iBook and got a nice shiny PB (no problems after more than a year now (knock on wood)) when apple decided to fix the logic board for free i sent the iBook in again. about two months later it died. . . again. . .(i gave it to my little brother to use since i have the pb) and after three trips to repair ive never been offered an iBook G4 :-/ i would say the repair is questionable at best. im just happy i got the PB, it works great!

13. macrumors regular

iBook G3 800 -- replaced power inverter once, logic board 0 times. Not showing any signs of aging and it sits in a truck bumping around all day (I work for cable company and just throw it in back). Its a bit scatched (my tool belt fell on top of it once) but works great.

14. macrumors G4

Mord

mines been done twice, it's going slowly and i'm getting artifacts every now and again, if i get an ibook g4 i'll sell it and get a 15" powerbook with the money i make from it and my 512MB crucial stick.

15. Retired

jefhatfield

i have the ibook 300/32/3, rev a, and when the g3 dual usb/firewire icebook came out, i thought i had been ripped off since the new g3 ibook was so much better on paper...and less expensive...and lighter

but when i heard about the logic board problem on the g3 icebook happening to so many people, then i felt lucky

but one thing that limited me with the rev a was the lack of firewire and it bummed me to no end...usb works but is not the ideal form of transferring data...but thank god for usb 2.0 these days, along with firewire and firewire 800

i may get a g4 ibook or emac and either machine will be so much more powerful than my old rev a ibook i wouldn't be able to put it into words...but the old clamshell ibook still looks as cool as the day i bought it :)

16. macrumors 65816

bankshot

My 600 has been in twice for the problem. I was kind of surprised the second time it happened because, after all, weren't they supposed to replace the logic board with one that was redesigned to avoid the problem altogether? Apparently not.

The first time, it came back without a working modem. We didn't notice this for several months because we rarely use the modem except when traveling. By the time we finally got around to taking it in, the video problem popped up again. Now it has trouble recognizing an external screen (S-video to a TV in our case) unless you jiggle the connector just right. I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking in for this or whether we should just live with it.

I wouldn't mind at all if the video problem happened a third time and we could talk them into giving us a G4 iBook. :D

17. macrumors member

I'm on my fourth logic board now on a 800 MHz iBook G3 ... not counting the 700 MHz logic board that they thought they'd replace it with the first time I took it in! :confused:

(Feeling a little gypped on the lack of an iBook G4 at this point) :(

18. macrumors 6502

If it makes you feel better I'm on my 4th logic board as well on my G3 800. To respond to the original question, mine was in for repair the 2nd time after they started the logic board program and failed again. At that point, I called Apple customer support and kindly told them of my dissatisfaction with the issue and that I refuse to send the unit back if there isn't a permanent fix. They told me they wouldn't expect me to go through a 4th hardware repair should it fail again, and would replace the unit. I'm just waiting for the failure, it's been 3 months since that repair.

I'm glad to hear Apple stepping up to the plate and sending people G4 units. Like another user said, I would probably sell it (new) and buy a 15" powerbook.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I think that I'll just go this one last logic board replacement before asking for a whole new machine. This is my third time replacing the logic board and second due to the video issue. Since it seems to be that they'll repair the iBook three times for a particular issue before replacing the whole thing, I'll give it one more shot.

20. macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I'm on logic board #3. If this one goes (which it will.. These things only seem to last about 6 months max) I'm going to do something about it with Apple. Like ive got nothing against the iBooks performance, ive got really bad things to say about its reliability though.

BTW, everything else in my laptop asside from the screen has been replaced too.

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

I came home today and found a message from some woman at Apple, responding to an email I sent to leadership@apple.com.

I'll call her back tomorrow morning and keep you posted.

22. macrumors 6502

Just in case you are curious....my ibook logicboard died today. I'll be calling Apple soon and requesting a new unit (g4 ibook). This is my 4th failure since January.

23. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey i'm on my 3rd logic board too. I see that you have a Hitachi drive in your iBook just like I do in mine. If you get a new laptop, I DOUBT they will swap the drive for you. So are you willing to just give up the HD for the new laptop? let me know your thoughts.
    -Kevin

24. macrumors 6502a

I just DHLed my G3/800 in for the first time last week, should show up at the fruit stand in Tennessee Monday morning.

As I am literally having to borrow an iBook from my grandmother to accomodate a handwriting disability (have to have a Mac to really do Spanish on a laptop, so borrowing a PC is out of the question) for college purposes, if it goes bad again I'm going to try to push them for a G4. These logic board repairs must cost Apple something; there's probably a point where it's cheaper just to send a G4.

25. macrumors 68000

5300cs

So, what's the general consensus on keeping the logic board from dying? Just, like, not use it? :mad: I have a G3/800 and if I sold it now, I'd make like $300 on it maybe. I want to use this as long as I can without having to worry about the logic board going "tits up" as another member put it so susinctly(sp?).

I think it was Counterfit (hope I spelled it right this time :D ) who said never pick the iBook up by the front right corner as this is where the logic board is... anyone else heard this?