Question for Mac addicts (the fast food chain).

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sourcemonkey, Apr 21, 2006.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

I haven't really been to Mcdonalds much over the last few years but I've been to many of the franchises in a number of different countries in the past. I'm currently in new zealand and have found that of the three times I've been to the Auckland city franchise - every time I was handed my food - there was 'residual food' on the tray. We're talking dried up sauces, bits of gherkin stuck to the tray etc. I complained that it was surely a hygene issue to have this food stuck to the trays for what looked like some time - not just build up from a day or from a badly cleaned tray.
    Basically, I can't ever remember having this experience in any other Mcdonalds franchise before, and it certainly never happens in Burger King, KFC, etc. Has anyone else noticed this 'residual food on the tray' issue in Mcdonalds? Am I over-reacting if i think that it's something worth being pissed off about? How much of a health risk is it?
    Any input would be appreciated. ;)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Having worked in a McD's while at University, it's company policy that each tray is wiped down with a sterliser solution and a clean cloth after each use. The cloths (red edged) should be replaced every 30 minutes and stored in sterilising solution after coming out of the washing machine.

In terms of health risk, it's probably not huge if you keep your food in its containers and eat from those.

3. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know there is actually a set protocol in place. I actually asked the duty manager (well, some kind of 'manager') who was responsible for cleaning them, and all I got from her was an "I dunno". I've gone so far as to phone Mcdonalds NZ and they'll be calling me on monday. I'm not one of those people who complains about these things generally, but it's happened the last three times I've been. I hope I'm not becoming one of 'those people'! :confused:

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

a friend of mine said that when she was working in mcdonalds (in london), there was always moss growing in the mcflurry machine! I was disgusted

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd be astonished if that's true - although any company's procedures are only as good as the managers who are enforcing them.

The McD's 'Operations Manual' says that both Flurry and Milkshake machines should have the 'mix' removed each night, have sanitiser run through the machines and then parts that come into contact with the 'mix' should be dismantled and scrubbed in a dedicated sink and soaked in sanitiser. Once a week, the mix chain should be broken completely so that any 'leftover' mix was binned rather than stored for the next day. At the point I was there, only floor managers and higher were allowed to clean the machine (it was a horrible job!) and even our tight-fisted franchisee followed those rules since the health and safety implications (when the local EHO did their routine bacteria checks) were so much more risky.

While I eat in McD's very seldomly, their health and safety rules/procedures aren't what put me off. Let's put it this way - I haven't worked there for 10 years but those procedures, safeguards are still locked in my brain. I could probably still take that milkshake machine apart and put it back together again.

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this is it exactly, im sure that the manager must have been sacked by now, as my friend was working there a couple of years ago. Also, i'm sure that it was a one off, because as you say, mcdonalds has incredible health and safety standards.

either way, thnks for the reasurance applespider

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well my friend worked at a McDonalds, and he said that because the health inspector only stopped by every few months or so (every 3? 6?), they were somewhat slack, and he told me not to work there. And even though he had worked there for around a year, he was "promoted" because everyone else had been there for less time, and he was seen as responsible. He wasn't. He just pretends to work incredibly well. :p

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never seen this sort of thing before, but then again I go to a smaller "restaurant" with less customers and therefore more time to do cleaning, etc.

9. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I used to eat at MaccyD's quite a but when I was younger then started to cut them out when I was getting healthier around 20 ish. Hadn't touched them for years and then when I saw "Super Size Me" I'm so glad I had stopped. So so bad for you!

10. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

The depatment of health phoned me and said they actually investigated my report and have issued them with a warning to address the issue. Thanks for the replies.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The only decent burgers I remember from downtown were from The White Lady.
    Is that still there?

12. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

McDonalds makes me poop funny.
    Home grilled burgers...drool

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Around Central Floriduh, I can't say that I've found any of the trays dirty but the tables almost always have food on them, even though the place will be empty.

Having worked at two McDonald's--both with AAA ratings--we were pushed to clean as if our lives depended on it. However, I worked at Franchise stores, not company stores. The company stores are always worse.

The other day I went to a Firehouse Subs store and I finally sat down at the third table because it looked clean. Still, the pattern of the table top hid the bits of lettuce and bread. Someone had spilt something on the floor so long ago, that it looked like it was part of the floor. No employee touched a table while I was there, yet they had 10+ tables empty and only 3 tables in actual use.

It's always reasonable to say something when your health might depend on it.

14. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Haha! Yes it is actually. You're right... burger van burgers beat 'corporate burgers' every time. I think it's only open on weekends though now.