question for new PB owners

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

this is a question for those that own the new 1.25 g4 powerbook:

how good is the performance of this computer? how good is it at apps like photoshop? or gaming? and email/websurfing?

how would you say it compare to other macs and pcs?

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: question for new PB owners

I haven't played many games that would really push the limits. The UT 2003 demo runs well enough to give me motion sickness. :D This thing does have a great video card.

Photoshop runs well. Email/websurfing... those aren't going to push an old Pentium II, let alone a new computer of any kind.

Not really sure what you're looking for here. It's not gonna beat one of the G5 Powermacs, obviously. When I go from a Linux machine on a P4 2.4GHz to this Powerbook, I don't find myself thinking "man this is slow-w-w!" But frankly I probably wouldn't think that if I sat down at a P4 1.2GHz machine. Everyone gets hung up on processor speed, but we're at the point where it basically doesn't matter for the vast majority of people. There aren't a lot of tasks around that push even a one or two year old processor very hard.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have the 1.25 Ghz Powerbook and I also have a Duel 1 Ghz PowerMac MMD. I don't really notice the speed difference between the two that much. However I do tend to do most of my Photoshop work on the PowerMac as well as iMovie and Final Cut Express work. I did install Halo on the Powerbook and it appeared to play well on it, if anything I felt it played better than the PowerMac, but I had no issues with performance on the PowerMac. The key with Photoshop is plenty of Ram, I have a gig on the powerbook and I find that it is a quick machine.

Purchase with confidence it is a great machine. Load it with Ram and it will meet your requirements I am shure.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My 1.25 GHz PowerBook is really nice. I definitely haven't done anything on it yet that has made me think "This is kind of slow", in fact, a lot of the time I am impressed with the speed that it does things. I admit I haven't really used a dual machine so I can't compare to a dual G4 or a G5, but my PowerBook is wonderful to work on.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

my 1.25GHz PB is good!! :D i use it for Photoshop, and it's all good, nothing to complain about.

more RAM doesn't hurt though, i've got 512MB now, planning to get another 1GB. but a total of 1GB, or maybe even 768MB RAM would ensure pretty flawless performance. :)

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Today's English lesson is...

Dual { doo-uhl }
    1.Composed of two usually like or complementary parts; double: dual controls for pilot and copilot; a car with dual exhaust pipes.

2. Having a double character or purpose: a belief in the dual nature of reality.

3. Grammar. Of, relating to, or being a number category that indicates two persons or things, as in Greek, Sanskrit, and Old English.

Duel { doo-ell }
    1. A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.

2. A struggle for domination between two contending persons, groups, or ideas.

Comprendé?

Now then, I would guesstimate that the 1.25GHz G4 in the 15" PB is more or less equal to a 2GHz Pentium 4, perhaps a 1.8. As far as games, well, you won't be running Halo, Doom 3, or UT2k4 at 1600x1200 and be getting 200+ fps, but those games are playble. Well, I don't know about Doom 3 or UT2k4, as I haven't played them. But anyway, they'll run, but not at the level of a G5 or a 3GHz P4. Unless the P4 somehow has a 16MB ATI Rage :rolleyes:

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Even on a 3 GHz P4 with the newest Radeon 9800s or Geforce 5950s, you still can't get much above 25-30 fps on Halo with all the features on.

8. breakdown macrumors newbie

Mine should be arriving today or tomorrow, when I get my design programs installed I'll let ya know how it goes. I've been heavily working on my portfolio, so I should be able to tell the difference right away.

9. Flavius macrumors newbie

Re: Today's English lesson is...

playable

adj : capable of or suitable for being played or played on; "a playable lie in golf"; "the baseball fan reached out and caught a foul that was judged playable"; "the ball field was playable"; "harpsichord music is readily playable"- P.H.Lang [ant: unplayable]

Comprendé?

10. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Re: Today's English lesson is...

Sometimes when I am fighting to get my computer to do what I want it to do it feels like a duel Mac to me:D

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Flavius - your turn-about post was funny... but you should've quoted down to the "playble" typo!! :)

12. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I have the 1.25 15.2PB with 1X1 gigabyte ram modual, and the faster harddrive, bt, airport, and it goes great, i use it for iMovie (soon to be FCE), iDVD, quake 3, wc3, aoe2, elite force 1, and 2, word processing, email, websurfing, the terminal, pretty much everything, and it does everything find, i use it everyday in pretty much all my classes, and with the screen dimmed, it will tough it our pretty long. I was origanoly going to get the dual g5, but for me mobility was an issue, though i do often question my dicision, while i am doing video editing and other intensive things. For a laptop, it will do everything well, obviously not compairible to a powermac g5, but it is a laptop after all..

aethier

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: Re: Today's English lesson is...

HA! :D

Flavius, you could have had me so well... :rolleyes: And I wish that was an intentional typo :(