Question for our moderation team on current events

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by RacerX, Feb 16, 2006.

1. RacerX macrumors 65832

By all accounts, the current state of panic in the community over this virus/trojan/worm seems to have been started on this board... in this thread.

It seems to me that the fastest way to stop Macs from being over run by attempts like this is to make sure that the person who made the first such attempt is dealt with as quickly as possible.

That having been said, I'm hoping that the IP address of the poster and the original link address to the file have been given to the authorities.

Has someone contacted the authorities with this information yet? It has been three days... it should really have been done on day one.

2. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Same here. I was wondering that myself. I wonder if there is any sort of 'action plan' they have in effect for issues like this?

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm sure just like any moderation/Admin team on any forum, they are doing the best they can. While they can ban the user name and the IP address of the offender, it's not a guarantee.

I'm sure the Admins are working with Apple and the proper authorities providing any information they can. Arn himself has a great deal of wisdom, I wouldn't put it past him.

Don't worry. I guess we all just have to have a little faith.

4. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that they are doing the best they can.

My question is if either the FBI or Secret Service have been given this information yet.

More importantly... was the address to the original file noted before it was removed? If not, contacting our members who downloaded it for the address (most likely stored in their browser's download history) would be an important step. Specially as all this information runs the risk of being lost the longer we wait on this.

And I've always stressed the fact that the first Mac virus writer going to jail would slow the further attempts on the platform (though this really isn't a first of this type, I seem to recall a few years ago a trojan that was made to look like the installer for Microsoft Word v.X making the rounds).

:rolleyes:

I would have asked this question earlier, but I've been bed ridden with a 100+ temperature for the last couple days and this was the first I'd heard about it. I'm not even sure if my current posts are completely intelligible. :eek:

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we'll be happy to assist the proper authorities. That being said, we don't have that much additional information. IP and email, both of which are easily spoofed.

arn