Question for Photo Geeks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sarge, Apr 2, 2005.

1. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

What is the best solution for shooting a high volume of RAW files
    whilst on vacation?

I have a 4gen ipod, and bought the new card reading mod before finding out it only works with the photo ipod. So:
    1)I won't buy a new ipod and will return the mod
    2)I don't think spending $140 on a 2g CF card is worth it.
    3)I see many portable drives for around 100 bucks (Fantom/Edge Diskgo)
    that I think might be an answer

My question is what do photojournalists/wedding photogs do and does anyone know if you can shoot directly to these drives. The DiskGo is USB

Thanks all

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I bring along my PB and extra firewire drive. At night, I download to my laptop, organize the good from the bad, make notes, and do some light editing. I can also burn to DVD or copy to FW drive for backup/safekeeping. Then I wipe the memory cards and reuse them.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

You can use the Belkin adapter, which works with your 4G iPod.

I carry a 12" iBook, 40GB iPod Photo, 20GB iPod and three 1GB CF cards.

You asked. :rolleyes:

4. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably bring the laptop, but I worry about leaving it
    in the hotel. I saw these DiskGo edge 80gig usb drives and
    I know my Canon can shoot straight to desktop, wonder if
    I can shoot right to the 80gig drive...

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I usually take all my gear with me for the day when I am out and about.

May I ask why you are so concerned with shooting straight to the drive?

CF memory is dirt cheap these days.

6. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

What about this?

Hey iGary,
    Agreed, memory is looking pretty cheap these days. Part of the problem is I am shooting huge files with the canon 20d. I was out all day shooting after I posted this and I used up my 1G CF card in about 3 hours. I guess I could get another CF card, but ( I don't even want to think what happens when the 16meg Canon drops several grand). I think I am interested in something like this below. I just saw this today while waiting out the rain at J&R computer world:

Wolverine 80gig 7-in1 Memory Card Reader and Storage Drive/Flash Pac 7000

Want to take your digital camera on the road? Then be ready to buy either a lot more Memory Cards or just get the flashPac. NOW you could take thousands of photos with a single Memory Card. A single press of a button and all your photos and digital data are effortlessly copied from the built in 7-in-1 Card Reader into a portable, self powered gigabytes of mass storage unit. With the contents of you memory card now safely stored, your card is now ready to be reused - and you never had to go near a computer. Because the Wolverine flashPac is battery operated you can literally save your data anywhere in the world. It's perfect for photographers, trips, sharing data during meetings, any situation involving a memory card.

I think this might be the solution I was looking for.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A solution might be in the Epson P-2000 viewer/player - though it really sounds like you need to break down and get more memory.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sarge, are you on AIM? If so, IM me at moxxi3, I have an offer for you that might suit your needs.
    No obligations, just something I think would be used more by someone other than me. It's a digital storage device 60GB.