Question for the audio peeps...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Jul 24, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Is everybody still working 100% in OS9? The lack of apps leaves us with little else choice. Ableton Live and Reason 2.0 keep my busy when I'm in X but all my real work still has to go down in OS9. Are you all planning to jump into OSX when Jaguar and the big apps(Logic, DP, Cubase, etc.) hit the street? I still talk to alot of guys who claim they will stay in OS9 forever ;) I think they'll be forced to come to OSX eventually. I wonder when OS9 will officially kick the bucket...

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

They'll change their mind

Core Audio just offers too much. It's what should have been in OS 9.

I for one think I'd better start saving for Logic Audio. I'm banking on Apple adding just the right amount of tweaks to take it to the next level.

What do you think of Ableton Live. I hear lot's of good things about it...can you back these feelings with your own?

Once Pro Tools is comfortably on OSX there won't be too many more stragglers I think.

I'm praying that mLAN takes off. I reall want to see a powerful yet simplified system of network of Audio/Midi. I've got my eye on the Presonus Firestation. It's looking good with Midi, mLAN, Adat Optical Mic Pre's and a Mixer built in. I've rambled enuff.

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: They'll change their mind

I agree. I for one am psyched to be in X fulltime. I'm praying that Apple doesn't mess up Logic. I don't think they will but just incase I've been learning DP on the side. Ableton Live is the BOMB! There is truly nothing like it. If you were ever worried about stability when playing a live show this app will put those worries to bed quickly. I've used it on a number of live gigs and it appears to be uncrashable. My Ti550 didn't give me the opportunity of many tracks or effects but that's a hardware issue. Ableton Live with Reason 2.0 in OSX is the most rock-solid performance tool to ever hit the computing world. The sonic possibilites are endless and Live is just totally inspiring. I'm madly in love with it. If you perform live, you NEED this. If you don't you still need it in the studio just for the experience. mLAN, I've been waiting forever. I thought this would be the death of 1/4" and MIDI cables forever but no one seems to be jumping in yet. I finally gave up and sold my A4000 sampler. I bought it because of mLAN and it never happened. One day we will have 24 audio tracks, 256 MIDI channels and all our controller data flying thru one fat FireWire cable. Ahhh. I hope I live to see it;)

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Cool

I don't perform live but I'll be checking out Ableton.

Good to see you over on Harmony Central. I'm spending way too much time over there but it's a nice site.

Honestly I don't think apple is going to change Logic Audio too much. They may yank out some features and of course they'll be tapping into Core Audio fully. I think the first version will just make sure that things are working correct and by version 2.0 it'll have plenty of good hooks into Final Cut Pro. They seem to have followed that plan with DVD Studio Pro.

What kind of music do you do TJWETT. I'm a Sax player trying to learn a little Piano and Guitar here soon. I've also played the trumpet. Guess I'll have to be a jack of all trades.

5. Solipsys macrumors member

OS X Audio...

it still has some time to come to fruition. every company is just waiting for 10.2 (except for programs that don't heavily rely on MIDI). but steinberg recently made their official relaease date for cubase sx on X... quarter 4 2002 for crying out loud. gimme a break, how many programmers are just picking their nose over there?!? OSX will be out late august so what's up with that? i love cubase, but at this point whichever comes out for X first, apple/logic or sx, that's the one i'm going with from there on out. the other big one for me is max/msp, which i don't see showing up in X for another 6 months or so... cycling '74 is a small company though so i can't blame them one bit for the time it's taking them... they only have a handful of programmers and a lot of system specific functions that will have to be redefined. i swear, us max/msp users will be the very last dual booters in the mac community... there are hundreds of 3rd party externals/plug-ins that need to be ported as well as the program to make it useable.

ableton live seems to be getting a lot of attention lately which is great. they came into the market full speed ahead and i wish them the best!

btw, the best reason to go mac for music is the live element. i'd never do a live show on a pc laptop... if you've ever witnessed this before you know exactly what i mean... a guaranteed crash (or system error beep) at least a half a dozen times during the performance.

6. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: OS X Audio...

I gotta give that MAX/MSP a try. I hear great things about it from sound designers. I tried Kyma for a minute but it was just too crazy. I know(hope) we'll get Logic soon but I'm kinda where you are. waiting to get out of OS9! I've been teaching myself DP just incase Logic takes too long. And I've seen people do shows here in NYC with Dell Laptops and you can here chimes and error windows every time they open a plug-in or something. it's funny. lets just hope things pick up soon. everybody else gets to play in OSX. why can't we? ;) in the meantime i'm considering removing X from my computer because it's a such a tease.

7. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Cool

hey, I do music for work so I pretty much do whatever is needed. it usually tends to be on the electronic side though. it's mostly stuff for commercials and some film scores and video game stuff here and there. i like writing music to go with a moving picture. oh, and sound design too, but that's not really music. my own personal music is different than work though. i guess alot of it would be called "experimental" electronic music. i still call it jazz though;) i grew up playing sax(alto) at age seven and some piano and then guitar but i was into Sonic Youth so all I wanted to do was detune it and put the pickups in backwards so I switched to bass. 4 strings, so chords, i couldn't hurt anyone with it. i work on the computer too much so when i rarely pick up my bass anymore it's a fretless 5 string and "real" instruments rarely make it into my recordings. i do play a fare amount in my live sets though which are kind of improv. you a jazz guy too? sounds like you are starting a one man band over there! have fun and if you get into the piano check out SampleTank. we just got it and it's very high quality. cheers.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I use Logic 5.4 under OSX, and Reason 2, both run like monsters, but neither will talk to the other, no reWire 2 in Logic yet, although 6 looks set to change that. OSX is the best thing that has happened to audio on the Mac, no more OMS for a start...

It took me a while to be convinced of the advantages, but it's worth the work, trust me. :D

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

thankfully pro tools 6 will be available very soon. i belive that the keynote at MWSF03 had a demo of it for everyone.

i am waiting for it so i can go get my self a big fat juicy 001. but with the recent problems people have been having with it and the MDDs i think i am going to have to wait even longer.

oh well. looks like ill have to get a new mac from apple when they release another pmac.