Question for the British,Europeans and Austrianlians....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jakochampolska, May 1, 2006.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Candians are welcomed too :)
    I have a question for people outside the US.
    So..

Did you guys ever have to stand up every morning at school and say a "Pledge of Allegiance" to your country's flag? Or sing the national anthem with your whole class every morning?

2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

From England ......

Never. Not once, through all of the tires of education here. Never had to take an oath of allegiance to anything either.

3. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Brit here.

No on both counts, unsurprisingly. We did have to recite the Lord's Prayer every morning in assembly though.

4. Lau Guest

No, never. I've never had to sing the National Anthem at school either. I think I've sung it less than 5 times in my life, to be honest.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope... at my Catholic primary, we said the Lord's Prayer.

At international soccer/rugby matches, they play the anthem but they don't do the huge Stars and Stripes piece that they do in the US at football games with giant flags, fly-bys and choirs/guest stars. In fact, since I'm Scottish, they don't play God Save the Queen either - it's usually 'Flower of Scotland' which isn't the greatest even if it has become a de facto anthem.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope. Not once, ever.

The only time you might see a group of us en masse signing the national anthem (or more to the point, the British national anthem, because England doesn't have an official anthem of its own) is when the national team is playing football or rugby, or similar. And then it's painfully apparent that none of us actually know any of it past the first verse... :eek:

7. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Canada here.

Nope, not ever, never ever once. Had to say the Lord's Prayer back when in primary school and churches ran the schools, but they abolished that a decade ago and put school in the hands of the provinces. I'm from Newfoundland too, so likely the rest of Canada did away with it a long time before we did.

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It's Australians ;)

In primary school we had to sing the national anthem once a week in assembly, but after primary, we did not.

9. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Well -- following on from Jaffa Cake's totally correct observation that none of us Brits know anything after, at most, the first verse, any chance that you could let us know what the whole thing is about? Does Waltzing Matilda (or whatever it is) come into it? :confused:

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I do know that the second verse of God Save The Queen contains the fantastic line "Frustrate their knavish tricks", but beyond that I'm lost. :eek:

I reckon though I could still sing more of it than most of England's starting eleven this summer, though...

11. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Try singing that line when you're a bit pi$$ed --. :)

Thanks for the info - I never knew that! I was well into the la la la stage by then.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Just as well since there's a phrase about 'Rebellious Scots to crush' in one of the later verses which likely wouldn't go down well since it is supposed to the Great British anthem :D

I do know all 3 verses to Flower of Scotland alarmingly although it's the first and third ones which are sung at games. The first time being, IIRC, at the 1990 Scotland v England Grand Slam decider (which I was at) and which Scotland, despite being massive underdogs, won :D I prefer Scots Wha Hae which is a a bit livelier and more traditional if you want to sing or just Scotland the brave. Flower of Scotland is a little dirgelike

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Must have been an internal school policy because I never had to do it. I don't know the words but I think there's something about a beach in it.

Meh, patriotism is so 1800s.

14. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

nope, no, nien, niet, non.

i have never had to recite any pledge to anything in all my years of education.

Ever.

S

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Norway here. Never a pledge of allegiance, and the national anthem isn't a part of a regular school day, no.

Lots of Norwegians and almost all Norwegian children sing the national anthem on the national day (17th of May), and children in school will usually practice the anthem in preparation for the national day.

16. mpw Guest

Never at school and whenever we pledge allegiance here we always refer to 'the' Queen' not 'our' Queen, 'cause she's actually the Queen of England but our Duke from the days of the Duke of Normandy, William the Conqueror, 1066 and all that.

17. Lau Guest

We did have a really bizarre school song that had lines such as "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend, shall rot his spirit..." And then the last line was "To be a pilgrim" except you had to hold the "piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilgrim" for seventeen seconds. So in my head that line went "to be a pi-onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteenfourteen-
    fifteensixteenseventeen-lgrim" due to my crabby music teacher screeching it in rehersals.

18. mpw Guest

For a second there I was going to correct you and say pi isn't onetwothree etc.:eek: KT would be proud.

19. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies! I needed some of that info for a school report, because I wasnt all that sure if other countries force their children to pledge to the flag every morning since they've been in the 1st grade, like they do in the USA.

20. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Why don't you record it and upload it for us to hear. I would like to hear it. :D

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

We used to sing that too... with an equally drawn out iiiiiiiiiiii

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

England doesn't have a national anthem ;)

(the UK does but not England)

23. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

I can remember more of that hymn than any part of God Save the Queen!!!! Oh no! :eek: I had forgotten it for years and now you have brough it back to me and it will stay in my head for the next --- oh, years. Bum!!! Thanks. :)

He who would vaaaaliaaaant be
    ’Gainst all disaster
    Le-e-et him in constancy
    Fo-o-o-llow the Master.
    There’s no discouragement
    Shall make him once relent
    His first avowed intent
    To be a pilgrim. (we didn't have the 17 seconds though - hmmmm).

24. Lau Guest

Gekko - not a chance! :D

I can't believe we all had the same song - that's fantastic! It was such a weird song as well.

edit: oh, hang on, it was a hymn then? How strange of my school to randomly adopt it as the "school song", in spite of only singing it about 3 times.

I never said it did! :D (Half-scottish here!)

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, I'm not sure we even have a "pledge of allegience." I mean, I'm sure that new citizens have to say something to get their passports but that's the last time they'll say it. Those born into Aussie citizenship will never say it.

Come to think of it, it was many years ago but I'm positive there wasn't even a flag at my primary school. Do I care? Nope, I'm proudly Australian and don't need to remind everyone everyday by looking at a flag and mumbling.