Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Why don't you just get a laptop? I see people on here complaining everyday that the Ipad doesn't have a file system, a mouse and keyboard or they want a stylist for drawing. People keep describing what they want in an ipad and it's basically a laptop. The Ipad Pro (if it exists) will probably cost about the same as a Mac Book Air. Why don't you just get a laptop?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Why don't you just get a laptop? I see people on here complaining everyday that the Ipad doesn't have a file system, a mouse and keyboard or they want a stylist for drawing. People keep describing what they want in an ipad and it's basically a laptop. The Ipad Pro (if it exists) will probably cost about the same as a Mac Book Air. Why don't you just get a laptop?

Because I have a laptop. I need a more portable tablet I can draw and write on using full function x64 applications. And for those times I need to to do text or spread sheet work--I need keyboard cover I can easily snap on with the option of using a blue tooth or usb cordless mouse.

And I need a real file tree or finder to maintain project component organization

So turning the question around--why is this obvious use scenario--which is clearly supported by the surface and other windows products--so unfathomable to apple users? A hybrid osx/ios
tablet would be an amazing product

Last edited:

red41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Because I have a laptop. I need a more portable tablet I can draw and write on using full function x64 applications. And for those times I need to to do text or spread sheet work--I need keyboard cover I can easily snap on with the option of using a blue tooth or usb cordless mouse.

And I need a real file tree or finder to maintain project component organization

So turning the question around--why is this obvious use scenario--which is clearly supported by the surface and other windows products--so unfathomable to apple users? A hybrid osx/ios
tablet would be an amazing product

Then get a Surface. People on this forum act like Apple has a gun to their head to buy their products. If you asked me to give you a wrench that can drive nails into a board, I'd probably tell you to buy a hammer. Instead people on this forum like to argue that the wrench should be able to do everything a hammer can instead of realizing that there a different tools for different jobs.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Then get a Surface. People on this forum act like Apple has a gun to their head to buy their products. If you asked me to give you a wrench that can drive nails into a board, I'd probably tell you to buy a hammer. Instead people on this forum like to argue that the wrench should be able to do everything a hammer can instead of realizing that there a different tools for different jobs.
Have you not just though some of us are invested in the Apple Eco system and a 10-12" iPad running OS X with a few ui tweaks is something we could actually put to good use?

red41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Have you not just though some of us are invested in the Apple Eco system and a 10-12" iPad running OS X with a few ui tweaks is something we could actually put to good use?

Sure, I'm sure it would be useful for some people. It just gets tiresome reading over and over people complaining about what the Ipad isn't. They aren't useful posts. "I'm not getting the next ipad unless it has 4gigs of ram, shoots 3D video, has 2 days of battery life and is usable in up to 10 feet under water".

And lets be honest, it would take more than a "few ui tweaks" to run OSX on a tablet. Fragmentation of devices is what did Apple in back in the 90's. Trying to be too many things to too many people became too much. Bringing their focus back to making a few products better than their competitors not only brought Apple back but justified the price tag for their devices. I don't want to see them trying to please all the people all the time, because that doesn't work.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Sure, I'm sure it would be useful for some people. It just gets tiresome reading over and over people complaining about what the Ipad isn't. They aren't useful posts. "I'm not getting the next ipad unless it has 4gigs of ram, shoots 3D video, has 2 days of battery life and is usable in up to 10 feet under water".

So you thought you'd create another useful post stating that, because you don't have a need for such a device, that it's not useful......

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

And lets be honest, it would take more than a "few ui tweaks" to run OSX on a tablet. Fragmentation of devices is what did Apple in back in the 90's. Trying to be too many things to too many people became too much. Bringing their focus back to making a few products better than their competitors not only brought Apple back but justified the price tag for their devices. I don't want to see them trying to please all the people all the time, because that doesn't work.
I see what your saying but unfortunately that is the nature of a forum. People won't search and they will post the same thing over and over.

As for ui tweaks. Let's be honest it need a pop up keyboard and the fine select tool from android and it'll work out the box. Adding a stylus resolves the fine select issue.

What I will say is if Apple does it it'll be done right.

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

red41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
So you thought you'd create another useful post stating that, because you don't have a need for such a device, that it's not useful......

You're right, my post doesn't offer the board any utility, but in my humble opinion it's probably better than the dozens of "should I buy know or wait" posts. Also, I haven't seen any responses to my question beyond "because I want it to be more than it is". The only thing people have said is they want a laptop to have a touch screen so they can draw on it. The idea that Apple's laptops aren't portable enough isn't compelling when they offer an 11 inch screen with a keyboard that is less than an 3/4 inch thick and less than 2.5lbs.

Honestly, I don't mind people's post when they ask what people's wish lists for the next Ipad are, in fact I enjoy those posts. My post is more a reaction to the people that post what they think are the faults of the ipad and go on to describe a Macbook with a touch screen as their ideal ipad. They would probably be better suited to go over to the Macbook forum and complain about the lack of a touch screen there.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
Video editors, photographers, music producers and artists would absolutely love an iPad running OSX.
A touch screen laptop just isn't what those folks are after. They want a tablet device where the screen lays flat on the desk without a keyboard in the way.
Currently when I go to work I have to carry a MBP, a MIDI keyboard, an iPad, plus an audio interface. a larger iPad running OSX would replace 3 of those devices and make my backpack considerably smaller and less heavy.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
OS X with ARM? No thanks

iPad with x86 based CPU? No thanks

We won't see OS X on an iPad for a VERY long time. Expect to see it a year or two after they release a touch based version on a laptop with a touch screen. Expect to see that a year or two after we start seeing clues of it in OS X.

Apple already has a dumb down ARM based OS designed around a touch interface and they will modify it accordingly.

So IMO I feel we will see iOS Pro (or something I don't know) if Apple needs a more powerful OS for a more powerful iPad.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
OS X with ARM? No thanks

iPad with x86 based CPU? No thanks

We won't see OS X on an iPad for a VERY long time. Expect to see it a year or two after they release a touch based version on a laptop with a touch screen. Expect to see that a year or two after we start seeing clues of it in OS X.

Apple already has a dumb down ARM based OS designed around a touch interface and they will modify it accordingly.

So IMO I feel we will see iOS Pro (or something I don't know) if Apple needs a more powerful OS for a more powerful iPad.

I think you missed the point of this thread. Whilst I agree that we are unlikely to see an ipad running OSX any time soon, and probably never will, this thread was about why people would want one.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think you missed the point of this thread. Whilst I agree that we are unlikely to see an ipad running OSX any time soon, and probably never will, this thread was about why people would want one.

Sorry I have trouble getting passed the overall idea of it.

To humor the question, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more powerful OS on an iPad, or a laptop in a smaller package. Why wouldn't people want that option?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If you wanted a full blown desktop on a laptop wouldn't you just buy a Surface Pro?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Does it run OSX?

No, the point is that it runs a full blown OS which is what some people are saying they want. Personally i don't think Apple will be making a device like the Surface Pro (Hybrid). I've never used a Surface Pro so i can't comment on how well it does or doesn't do its job. I'm an Apple user, but for those people who want that it might be an option, simply because i can't see Apple doing it. I think the iPad Pro will be a big iPad which i would be happy with, but there are people who will not be happy with that.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I just don't see OS X on an iPad working.
The reason to get the iPad is for the low cost/free apps, you wouldn't have any apps on the ipadx so it would be really limited for a long time.

Is the rMB not the device people want but with a touch screen like windows?

Reactions: Dave245

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
No, the point is that it runs a full blown OS which is what some people are saying they want. Personally i don't think Apple will be making a device like the Surface Pro (Hybrid). I've never used a Surface Pro so i can't comment on how well it does or doesn't do its job. I'm an Apple user, but for those people who want that it might be an option, simply because i can't see Apple doing it. I think the iPad Pro will be a big iPad which i would be happy with, but there are people who will not be happy with that.

With the greatest of respect, the point of this thread is why people would want an ipad running OSX. For those of us that want such a device a tablet running windows is not an option. In my case, as I've already stated, it's because I want to run Apple software (Logic Pro X)
As I've also stated, I too don't think we'll get that but this thread is about why we want OSX on a tablet, not about why we don't buy a windows tablet.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
It's becoming clear that no one can keep on topic, or bother reading the previous posts. I'm out before everyone else that has no interest in an iPad running OSX reiterates their reasons for not wanting one, or why they think it wont happen.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's becoming clear that no one can keep on topic, or bother reading the previous posts. I'm out before everyone else that has no interest in an iPad running OSX reiterates their reasons for not wanting one, or why they think it wont happen.

I understand why people would want OS X on a bigger iPad, maybe being able to replace a laptop and a tablet with a combined device would be more useful, which is why i mentioned the Surface Pro i kind of felt like it tied in to the topic.

Reactions: Codeseven

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Its difficult to keep on topic when the question is rhetorical and almost nonsensical.

I'll reword it...

"Why do you want the iPad to be better when you can buy a totally different product altogether?"

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It was only 5 years ago that the first iPad was released, and the iPad and iOS have grown tremendously since then. The more powerful these devices become, the more powerful iOS and its apps will be. so while I can understand people wanting OSX on an iPad, I really don't think sticking with iOS will hold it back going forward.

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

louis_mihael

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2015
Its difficult to keep on topic when the question is rhetorical and almost nonsensical.

I'll reword it...

"Why do you want the iPad to be better when you can buy a totally different product altogether?"

Logic Pro X is only for OS X. So a Microsoft Surface would not be that useful for CelestialToys, but a iPad Pro with OS X or a Mac tablet would be. Yes, CelestialToys could just buy a different Music program and use the Surface, but Logic Pro X is way better than any Music program Windows have imo. Actually I think even Garageband is better than most of them lol.

Reason why I want a iPad Pro or Mac tablet is because, then I'll can just use one device for everything.

I have a Macbook Air and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I use the Air for recording music, writing scripts for my comic books and animation, and 3d modeling. The Surface I use to draw all the comics and do all the animation with. Yes, I can write the scripts on the Surface, but the keyboard on Mac is better. The Surface keyboard cover isn't bad just not great as the Mac keyboard. For the 3d modeling, I can do it on the Surface, but idk it just seem like it easier using a graphic tablet than a pen. Now for drawing the comics and animation, using the pen is so much better than using a graphic tablet. I know it's weird lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.