question for those using iphoto6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by turtlebud, Jan 28, 2006.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Now that iphoto6 gives you the option to keep the original pictures in their original directory rather than importing to the iphoto directory structure, I'm curious about how people are utilizing this feature.

Are you just using this option for all new pictures or are you going back and re-doing the old iphoto library structure so that you have all your picture organized in a uniform fashion?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not using that feature at all. I like the way iTunes and iPhoto organize my files for me. I don't want to worry about it. I will say that I liked iPhoto 5's method organization by date much better the 6's use of roll numbers.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you give your rolls names, the folders will be the correct names too. So in 2005, I have Christmas, Easter, South Bank, etc rather than Roll 2304

I'm not using the leave where they are either at the moment. Since virtually all the pictures I care about are now in iPhoto, it seems easier to leave them there. I'm also not sure how the 'keep original' etc will work or what would happen if I ended up wanting to change the external photo structure. Would iPhoto keep track of it or would I corrupt its Library.

4. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I was also curious what would happen if I left the originals as is, imported into iphoto, then moved the originals. The short answer is that iphoto seems to be smart enough to know when you move it and is able to track it in the new location.

It seems like there is still an Original directory in the iphoto library structure if you use this option, it uses aliases to the original file instead of the actual file (like it did before in iphoto5). And I guess in general, the alias will be able to keep track of the original file even if you move it.

These are good things to consider too though - I'll give it some more though before decide one way or the other.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Ok I must admit I never really investigated iPhoto that much in the past so I'm a bit blank about this feature.

Are you suggesting the feature in iPhoto Preferences (as per image below)? I use this simply because I import from my camera all my pictures to one folder called "Camera Imports" and depending on the intended use I may use iPhoto or PS to edit them. I prefer to keep them in one folder only and not have multiple copies floating around. If I have a picture that I am editing and still want to retain the original than that one is most likely a PS project in any event. However from what I understand if I were to Import to iPhoto Library this way (thus iPhoto's Library is using an alias) and I edit the original picture using say PS of what ever then when I return to iPhoto the "imported" image (which is really just an alias of the original in the external folder) will reflect those changes. I like that.

Attached Files:

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It might help you to know that iPhoto saves your original automatically if you let it organize your library and do editing in iPhoto. You can also edit iPhoto pictures in Photoshop by selecting Photoshop as your external editing application in iPhoto preferences. You will then be able to right click on a photo and select "edit in external editor" and it will open it up in Photoshop. You can edit it, save, and then return to iPhoto and the changes will be reflected in iPhoto.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Ok, so let me get this right. If I select the options I have shown in my above post and then choose PS in the iPhoto Preference I can choose to either edit using iPhoto or PS? Or when I click the edit button at the bottom of the iPhoto window will it automatically open PS?

EDIT I tried this out. If I choose PS in the iPhoto Preference it will open PS if I click the edit button at the bottom of the window, which I don't want it to do. So I chose "full screen" in the Preference instead. Then when I right click the photo in iPhoto and choose "edit with external editor" PS opens automatically which is how I'd prefer it.

Thanks for that tip. I have now taken that on board :)

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Has anyone tried doing this in reverse? All my Rolls have the wrong names (as I never named them). Has anyone tried re-naming the roll folders (with iPhoto not running)? Does it work (i.e. the rolls change names in iPhoto)?

Edit (1): OK I'm guinea pigging this one. I tried renaming a single roll (in both Original and Modified). Starting iPhoto worked without any errors. Selecting one of the pictures in the roll showed a dotted outline with a giant !. The thumbnails still work but the fullsize image cannot be found. I'm trying a full rebuild now...

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Ouch! That's my fear if I don't let iPhoto keep managing pictures - and want to change a folder name in my 'external' system.

It wouldn't have worked just to change the single roll back again?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, I could almost certainly have just changed the two folder name back to "Roll 1". My hope is that a rebuild will allow me to change roll names via this method. My only worry now is that meta-data I have added in iPhoto will be lost when I do this. It's got a few minutes left to run on the full rebuild: I'll post back with results...

Edit to add: I am letting iPhoto manage my pictures. I can't find a way of changing roll name inside iPhoto so I'm trying to do it inside the iPhoto directory structure itself.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Roll Renaming Update!

A full Library rebuild did not work. Still getting the giant ! Renaming the roll folders back to Roll 1 worked and the photos are now accessible again but I am no closer to being able to rename the roll.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I've just tried it the other way around - changing a roll name in iPhoto and then closing iPhoto. It quite happily updates the name in the Finder too. Creating a new roll and splitting an existing roll worked too.

So, can't you just view by film roll in iPhoto and change the roll names there?
    Get the 'info' panel up, click on the roll and then type the new name in the info panel box.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm so stupid! Yes that will work fine :eek:

How can I have missed that option!