Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
And it might be kind of redundant/obvious, but as someone who these days listens to virtually no pop/contemporary music, or radio (i.e. I've become a classical guy almost exclusively, except for the occasional nostalgic revisit to Lou Reed & the Velvets, Beatles, Stones, Bruce, etc.) is there any point in my bothering with Apple Music? I'm actually not kidding, I know I'm not their target demographic, but I thought I'd ask. I think I know what the answer is.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
And it might be kind of redundant/obvious, but as someone who these days listens to virtually no pop/contemporary music, or radio (i.e. I've become a classical guy almost exclusively, except for the occasional nostalgic revisit to Lou Reed & the Velvets, Beatles, Stones, Bruce, etc.) is there any point in my bothering with Apple Music? I'm actually not kidding, I know I'm not their target demographic, but I thought I'd ask. I think I know what the answer is.

With the free trial, you can experiment and come to your own conclusion.

I'd give it a whirl - you won't know what you're missing, etc :)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have been listening to the classic rock genre all day and it is pretty good. Not nearly as repetitive as Pandora and a broader selection than on the classic rock stations on XM.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have been listening to the classic rock genre all day and it is pretty good. Not nearly as repetitive as Pandora and a broader selection than on the classic rock stations on XM.

Listening to other genres I had before and the preset/curated station are way better than before. I find if I create a station from artist it plays more of that artist than before too.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Beats 1 won't be relevant to you, but everything else will. Check out Classical from Apple Music Editors in the New tab.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015

With the free trial, you can experiment and come to your own conclusion.

I'd give it a whirl - you won't know what you're missing, etc :)

Good advice, makes sense.

Wow - don't imagine it took you long to decide on your username!

Don't forget to unsubscribe in 3 months if it's not for you.

My two cents: It sounds like you have an appreciation of music and you like a good selection of it. It sounds like Apple Music is for you. If you're very picky and only like a couple of artists, it'd probably make more sense just to pay for their content outright rather than subscribe monthly to listen to the same stuff time and time again. Seeing as your interest spans a few genres, it'd probably be cost effective for you to have a subscription.

Just because it allows you to listen to unlimited music doesn't necessarily mean you have to listen to the music that's being produced now, there is a finite amount of stuff out there already but it's fairly abundant I'm sure you'll understand.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

The first thing I did was set up some classic rock and bluesy-rock stations. Pure classical as a genre was one of the initial seeding options too when it asked me for my musical preferences.

The library is pretty massive - I'm sure there will be something for you in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.