Question for those who use iTunes Home Sharing ATV3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Che Castro, Feb 9, 2013.

1. macrumors 601

do you leave your main computer running 24/7 for itunes?

do you use a cheap computer like a netbook or old mac mini just to have itunes running?

how is your itunes ATV3 setup for movies

2. macrumors 6502a

i have my main computer running 24/7, its a mac mini thats at my desk and everyone else run's their content from it. don't really know what you mean by how is the atv3 setup for movies, i have movies in itunes and they are also in the movies section on my atv...

3. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I use an old Mac mini that's in sleep mode all day until I need to access something, which then I wake it up through VNC and open iTunes. Then off I go. :)

4. macrumors 6502

I have a 2011 Mac Mini with an external 2 TB hard drive to hold my iTunes library. The Mini is restarted occasionally, but has not been turned off since I bought it, it does go into sleep mode.

5. macrumors 68040

Same set up except a 2010 Mini. Having an external 2TB hard drive makes so easy and I just got the base Mini because I can always upgrade the external a lot easier.

6. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, my Mac mini with my external My Book is on 24/7 for ATV Home Sharing. My movies are all purchased or redeemed through iTunes so I just use Home Sharing for my movies as well. (You can use the Purchased section of Movies, but the play count won't be updated.)

7. macrumors 65816

marzer

A headless 2009 mac mini (purchased used) with 6TB of external storage for primary and backup storage thats in the basement storage room. It runs 24/7 but i do have sleep settings active. I use screen sharing from iPad or iMac to maintain it, Remote App and iTunes/:apple:TV clients to control media playback.

It serves 5 :apple:TVs, 3 Macs and 4 iOS devices and a couple Airport Express music nodes. In addition to the music library and TV shows it has a couple hundred movies, dvd rips and itune downloads, that i stream throughout the house over wifi.

It runs some other network services for the home network: opendns, handyprint service, file sharing google play and google drive syncing.

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I put my iMac to sleep when not using it. When I want to access content from it via my Apple TV, the network will wake the iMac up enough to stream the content. It will not however, wake up the display by doing so.

9. thread starter macrumors 601

What if you have a password on the iMac for when it wakes , does that matter?

10. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope, that doesn't matter.

11. thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks I just tested this and works great, I didn't know about this
    I was planning on leaving the Mac mini on but now I'll just put it to sleep

This only works with AirPort Extreme or time capsule right ?

12. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It should work with any router. I even have a Cisco switch in between my iMac and Apple TV on the network. Works just fine.