Question for those with Wii's

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

I currently "only" have a 360, but I know I'll get a Wii sooner or later, depending on when Nintendo ramps up production and/or demand falls off a bit.

My question has two parts:

Have the majority of developers REALLY grasped the concept of the wiimote yet? Or are the 1st party games the ones with the best implementation of the controls?

Secondly, which games are the most fun to play? Obviously Zelda is a no-brainer, but other than Zelda are there any really good titles out that combine good use of the wiimote with good gameplay?

Basically I want to know which games are worth considering getting for Wii OVER the 360...

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nintendo still owns at making games for their system...I've alway thought NIntendo was the best software company.

Madden '07 does a nice job , but I've haerd/seen that people who like the "normal" madden don't like the the Wii Madden and vice versa. I liked Red Steel also. Elebits seems like a good use of the Wii remote, but I have not gotten into the game yet. Sonic ways also a decent use of the Wii remote. And SSX Blur looked like it could be a good games. And Mario Party this monday!

3. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

so far the only game i've really enjoyed playing was Wii Sports... XD

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

well how many games do you have? Wii Sport and Zelda?

Super Paper Mario and Mario Party 8 both look very very good

5. tehybrid macrumors member

i LOVE madden i can not stop playing! it just feels so great and it is uber fun

6. patmort02 macrumors member

The only 3rd party games I have are Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Red Steel, and I haven't been very impressed. Red Steel had potential, but just ended up being buggy and kind of lame. Marvel just doesn't feel right, you just end up swinging the wiimote mindlessly to attack.

The Nintendo games, on the other hand are extremely fun, but this is to be expected. Not only has this been a common theme for Nintendo consoles in the past, but they also developed it, so they have had ideas for it since the start. I think with time 3rd party developers will do a better job, but right now there isn't much out there, from my experience at least.

7. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

From most've what I've heard, Red Steel's controls were the main drawback from that game. My concern with the Wii's controls at this point is that they will adapt well, but only to casual minigames. It seems obvious to me that a sensor control scheme will port well to these types of games, but I'm really wondering how the real "franchise" types of games will turn out.

Its encouraging to hear that Zelda worked out, but what about games like the upcoming smash bros.? Driving games? My only experience with Wii has been with excite truck, so I can't really judge this well for myself.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Mario Party 8 was pushed last week to 6/2/2007
    http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=230005

As far as controls go I know im not alone here when i say that they can be downright gimmicky on some games. Wii Sports is a great implementation of the controller, Zelda TP.. bah give me the choice to use a CC or GCN controller. It varies by game but I would like the option to use a standard controller rather than always relying on motion. The novelty of moving your arms around to play games gets old rather fast. Super Paper Mario at least got smart and uses the wiimote in a standard controller fashion rather than a gimmicky motion way.

Ed

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Some games could have used more refinment on the controls, but others like SMB, it was just a matter of getting used to the Wiimote. Games that I had a hard time with at first, are cake now and much more enjoyable than just mashing a buttont and twiddling my thumbs.

I bought Red Steel, but returned it for a Classic Controller and Game Cube game. Its controls were actually quite good in comparison to a typical console FPS, they just needed more tweaking IMO, or more user adjustment settings, but the game as a whole was first gen rush. It's just like on a PC, where as you have games like Counter Strike, or COD, which have excellent controls, or Doom 3 which was clearly lacking in comparison. FPS games, RTS, or any game that require pointing in general will be best with the Wii's controls.

I would buy Wii Play, it's a great way to kill time with friends, but it's a limited addition, so might not be available by the time you buy a Wii, if you go ahead with a purhcase. The game is worth it just for the extra Wiimote.

The Virtual Console is awesome. I can't express enough how much I like this aspect of the Wii. It and the Cube games are definitely a way to bide time, if there's no Wii games available of your liking. I personally would like to get Trauma Center and Medal of Honor when it comes out. Even Sonic, since many are considering the best execution since the Geneisis days, so it's on my maybe list.

Anyway, I've had my Wii since November. I'm still paying Zelda TP. I'm just slow. :eek:

By June, there will be a huge surge of great games for the Wii. A few are coming by April.

<]=)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well there aren't many games out at the moment. It's doing what the DS did, good first party controller support, nothing from 3rd parties for 6 or so months. There has been a surge in dev kit purchases from other devs so expect a lot of (potentially crap, as the majority of 3rd party stuff usually is) games in the next year or so.

Kororinpa is the most fun marble game I've played, really great as multiplayer too! Paid 30 in shops but found it for £25 on eBay. Wouldn't pay more than that for this kind of game though.
    Red Steel was alright, but totally bug ridden. I'd definitely buy a sequel as everything else is very much bang on.

Does Excite Truck count? Monster Games made that. I steered clear because of "reviews" here but I went out, played it, absolutely hooked on it now. I've never been so fixed into a game.

11. Wallace25 macrumors member

Wallace25

I think Zelda was great on the Wii. Great gmae that has lots of gameplay. And I also that the Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a great game.

12. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I played the Rayman game over a friends house and thought it was a lot of fun! I plan on picking that up with Zelda when i get my Wii. :D

13. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I appreciate the comments. It seems like I'm not missing out on much waiting for a little bit then. I have a ton of papers due for Univ. in the next two months... I really hope that by the end of April/ beginning of May we really get a bigger picture of whats in store for Wii. I have to say that the 360 has met and exceeded my expectations, and I really hope the Wii can do the same.

I noticed the other day that Wiimotes are STILL sold out everywhere. I guess that the demand is there, but seriously, peripherals as well as consoles? I was under the impression since before launch that the Wii was going to be readily available.

...any FPS on the horizon for the wii (other than metroid, which some people don't call a FPS)?

14. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

the controls are flawless in my opinion... i was so surprised at how accurate it is

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If you've not played a Wii, than you're definately missing out on quite a bit. There's no buts about it, the system is an absolute blast and the only next-gen console that actually lived up to its hype. Which fortunately wasn't Nintendo's boasting, but from actual users. Its controls are the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time.

It's 4 months in, I still play my Wii every day and every weekend with friends. And of course being 4 months in now, we all want more. I leave my Wii on in the background, which is something I've never done with a console. I get my news on it every day. :eek:

The reason peripherals are still selling out along with the console, is because the Wii is absolutely great for playing with friends. Most games allow up to 4 people and are way more fun on average than much of what I've personally played on any other console. Wii Sports alone is worth the price of Wii. It's a great way to have fun and even loose some weight. It alone is probaly responsible for much of the demand for the Wii.

I'm going to try Medal of Honor and have been contemplating COD3, but Metroid which I'll ramble about, is the only one I expect to be executed properly on the Wii.

Metroid 1 and 2 were more FPS adventure games than a run of the mill FPS like Halo as an example. To pick on Halo, I enjoyed it immensely for the multi-player aspect, but as a single player game it doesn't hold a candle to MP1. It's simply too repetitive and really falls apart compared to Metroid. MP3 in the sense of controls and online play will be a true FPS, but will still have the adventure element that many of us like for single play. With the prior ones, they offered a lock-on feature, which helped to get around the inherent flaw with thumb-stick-aiming, as in it's too slow for fast action when precision is needed. The Wiimote being a true pointer can keep up like a mouse. At first I thought this lock-on feature would be cheating, but the game was designed quite well to accomadate this setup and still was very challenging.

I would only wait, if you don't play games with others and already have several games on your plate. But if you do have gaming partys, than pick one up asap. Wiiplay and Wii Sports are worth months of fun.

Anyway, if you wait too long, than how will you find time to play all of the current games that are worth it and the new ones coming out shortly? ;)

<]=)

16. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Question for those with Wii's? Wouldn't that be most of us? :D

17. ninewhereman macrumors member

I love my Wii. I have kind of fallen off of gaming the past couple of years, but that all changed the day I purchased a Wii. I found myself playing games for hours on end, which I hadn't done in a long long while.

Dragon Ball Z I thought was awesome. The way the implemented the motion with the fighting was definitely cool. From what I hear of the new Mortal Kombat they are going to get the controls even better.

Madden can't be beat on the Wii. Using the motion sensing to pass, kick, juke, and stiff arm is just amazing.

COD3 was awesome. Definitely the best shooter out for the Wii to date. Loved tilting the Wiimote to peak around corners. I also liked shaking the controls and swinging them like a bat to kill Nazis face to face.

NFS Carbon, while a mediocre game, was made even better by use of the Wiimote. I switched it up from standard steering with one controller to what I think was a better set up. Using the Wiimote as the gas (hold flat) and brake (pull up). A tilt of the nunchuck was used to steer and made steering very precise. My friend liked the Wii version over the 360 version immensely, and this is coming from a graphics whore.

The controls in Zelda seem kind of gimmicky, but at the same time it is cool to be able to play it in this new way.

SSX, which I just picked up today, is amazing so far. Definitely a steep learning curve to the game. Definitely more for the people who will actually take the time to perfect the motions that go along with the tricks. Definitely proves that just because Wii has motion controllers doesn't mean it is going to be easy.

Wii Sports alone has spent more time in the Wii than any other game. Best game for multiplayer, and for drinking. This game alone is worth the price of admission.

I don't consider myself a casual gamer. I don't think anyone who logs 30 hours into one game in a week can be considered casual. I just have fallen off of gaming for a while because it seemed stale. In that sense Wii is like a breath of fresh air. A word of caution; when you first start to play you will have tons of wtf moments. They definitely deterred me for about the first week, but once you get used to the controls, and stop getting sore arms from hours of playing, it is a blast. The control scheme can get old, and at times you would much rather just relax with a classic control setup, but that is what your 360 is for.

Cliff notes:
    Wii = Greatness

18. bmb012 macrumors 6502

If you've already got a 360, then you're losing nothing over buying a Wii. If party games are your thing, then it'll probably be the best thing you ever bought.

But yeah, Wii Sports is, as of right now, the best implementation of Wii controls that I've used so far. Elebits is a lot of fun, I've been hooked on Excite Truck for quite awhile, and I honestly really enjoy playing Red Steel.

On the horizon, though, is Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros. Brawl, three games that I would consider to be absolute must haves. From what I hear about Prime and Galaxy, the controls are exactly how controls need to be on the Wii. Wii's incredible sales numbers are also smacking developers upside the head, so I expect some amazing games to start poring out soon, much like what happened with the DS.

All in all, I'd say the thing is a hella solid investment. There's few things more awesome than holding a Wiimote in one hand and a beer in the other with a room of about 10 people, taking turns playing 4 player Wii Tennis, screaming profanity at each other. that's my idea of the true multiplayer experience.

19. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

haha, I definitely like the idea of multiplayer gongshows on the wii...

I'm just wondering too... not to knock those of you that may have camped for a wii, but I just find something a bit off-putting about having to practically sell myself for a games console... I've looked around a few times for wii's, but it seems like people are still really ready to call stores everyday and check shipments online etc. etc.

are there any places where you can go to any given store and possibly find one of these consoles around? how did you all get them!

20. ninewhereman macrumors member

I just got lucky with mine. Found it sitting there and I picked it up. I wasn't going to go to any great lengths to get it. I knew I was getting one eventually, I wasn't in any rush. Still really happy I got one as early as I did.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed.

I've bought 8 wii games excluding Wii sports (bundled with the system) and none of them have made the wii remote feel anything other than just a tacked on control system, bar the 1 game that came with the system.

I am starting to doubt the Wii, and yet when I first got it I was glowing with praise. Now...... I'm not too sure developers will ever grasp it (pun intended).

But Jimmi I didnt think you played buggy games with control and serious camera issues ? ;)

22. andrewag macrumors 6502

I have not played that many games on Wii (only have sports and zelda) and they were enjoyable while it was new, but i have not really played it since.

The menu system is a little hard to use in my opinion.

Still, it's fun throwing your arms around.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The camera clipped through objects in the age old fashion yes, but bugs? Where?

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Quite the pessimist MacRumorUser. :)

I look forward to Metroid where I'll actualy be able to aim the canon this time around, (Holding down the R-button doesn't count.) then reach and twist my wrist to open a door instead of just shooting the dam thing.

I also like the option of tilting the Wiimote for gliding my MonkeyBall, or landing a spaceship. It's much more enjoyable than a thumb-stick. I'll still prefer a flightstick when playing a full on simulator, but gliding and flying the birds, it's just more fun with the Wiimote.

Anyway, it has only been 4 months and for some things the Wiimote is clearly superior over other console inputs *cough* *pointing* and as devlopers get used to the Wii's strenghs and weaknesses, they'll definately find a happy medium and hopefully not go overboard where it's not necessary. Nintendo didn't exactly abandon the best traits of last generation, they've only added to the areas that were cleary lacking. The first release of DS games were mostly fluff, but not even a year later, the DS was full of some great games, some of the best ones I've played in ages. Finally we can play sport games and not have to watch some simpleton power-meter, while waiting for the right time to do something excitng, like press a button. *joy* That was fun the first 10 billion times I tried it and was certailny great back in the stone age when it was new.

<]=)

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2