question for xserve G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 1, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    hey all,
    i have wonderful news. my family wants to start a website for some reason.but the cool part is that i get to be admin. i was thinking xserve g5 or an old g4. i have no problem getting the website setup and all that. I need help on how i can hook up a display to it. i undersatnd that i can do i remotely be vnc but how do i load it in the first place anyway.....

btw: can os X server host more than one website at the same time?
  2. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    XServe has a VGA port. And you can host many web sites on an XServe - in fact an XServe is way overkill for a family web site.
  3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Re: question for xserve G5

For hosting a home site, getting an XServe G5 is like shooting mosquitoes with an ICBM. My Dad's business's website ran off a Quadra 840AV for a while. Get a used G4 or something. If you really want an XServe, go ahead, but they're damned noisy (and the monitor just plugs in normally).
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    seriously. You don't need a G5 for a family website. If every member of your family had a website - well then MAYBE you'd need a G4. Put Linux on an old G4 - get one on Ebay for cheap. No need to spend on a G5 XServe.
  5. lbodnar macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2004
    Why only Linux? You can install native Darwin binary distribution for free It comes with Apache and the rest just like Linux.

Personally I don't have any preferences but the latest Yellow Dog Linux refused to install on my eMac even in text mode. Previous release was OK. I just did not have time to fight with it. Darwin installed without a hitch.
  6. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    XServes are meant for HPC (High Performance Computing).

Get a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 Desktop and enjoy that as a web server and as a top of the line desktop. You will be much happier (and so will your wallet/wife)
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    maybe you have a big family...a really really big family.

like all the other posters said get a g4 tower or g5 tower so at least u can have fun while serving. cuz xserve is way way way too much for a family website
  8. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    If your needs are small, you don't even need to run your own server. You can easily rent space (and even get your own domain name) from any number of places for pretty cheap. Though it means you won't actually have the server at home (so you wouldn't be as much of a macho admin), you can still do all the site management from your home computer. You would save enough money over buying an XServe to buy a seperate computer to do site management (and a lot more) on.
  9. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    If he has the time and the money, let him get one!

More power to you, dudewheresmymac!
  10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    What about if his ISP will not allow a website to be run? Some block port 80, so now you need to put it on a different port and all visitors need to specifically use that port to access the site. Renting space is not also cheaper, but you have more bandwidth and have an SLA (Service Level Agreement), which is not something they would have at home.