Question for you bikers out there

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Jul 25, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I was wondering if any off you bike-enthusiasts had heard anything good or bad about Fetish Cycles products? I was looking at their SAC frame:

http://fetishcycles.com/SAC.html

Since they seem to be selling it for around $100 on eBay new. Checking to see if anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks!

Edit: I've found some postings on bike forums saying that they're quality bikes that are rather underappreciated, but no specific reviews from any major bike sites or anything.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Looks like run-of-the-mill Taiwanese compact frames.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I've heard of them but have had zero personal experience. Seems like a pretty generic frame but I've never heard anything negative about them. IMO the frame is the most important part of the bike, if you are going to spend money on anything special it should be the frame.
    What sort of components were you looking to use and what is your budget?

p.s. are you a user on bike forums?

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I've been reading through a bunch of bike forums for a few months now, but never posted. My budget, frankly, is virtually ziltch, I'm trying to build this bit by bit as I find discounts and get paid. I'm just looking to put together a light, fast, single-speed road bike for daily commuting, not for racing or anything like that. I do face a one hour daily commute in the fall, so my current bike is a bit slow for me.

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

darn.. thought this ws gonna be about motorcycles :(

reminds me of that scene in super troopers.. lol

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I understand you might not have the money to put down on a complete bike and feel if you buy bit by bit it will be easier for you but it can also potentially cost you more money to build the bike yourself. That is unless you already own the tools necessary to build a bike or can borrow them from someone. If tools are not a problem for you, and you feel you can safely build the bike yourself, it is entirely possible for you to build a bike up on the cheap. Just make sure that you know what size frame you need, if you don't already ride a road bike then get fitted for one at a shop.
    Are you going to build just a singlespeed or are you looking for a fixed gear?
    Also, what are you currently riding?

7. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

I am currently riding a POS Dawes Sport road bike which I got dirt cheap new. I have some experience with building bikes as I bought a used Fuji which I tore down and built back up with new components for my girlfriend's birthday a few months ago. As well as the *extensive* repairs I've had to do on my bike. I also have pretty much all the tools I need, except for a pedal wrench, I think.

I feel ok building a bike from scratch as I've done it once before, and since I really want to use quality components - plus I don't want to buy a good road bike only to strip off things later. And yeah, I'm going for a single-speed, not a fixed gear. I've tried both, and I'm just not comfortable with fixed gear bikes yet.

So, I'm just looking for a decent, reliable, and light frame to use for this new bike. I thought an all-aluminum frame wouldn't be bad as I ride a steel one now, and this frame is about 4lbs, which is light (compared to the bike I have now). I'm just not sure of the quality of the build or the durability of this particular frame. They say they're handmade from a company in Arizona, but apparently they assemble them in Taiwan. So... I don't know what to think.

Are there any frames/manufacturers you would recommend over others?

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Check out IRO http://www.irocycle.com/framesets.html especially the Jamie Roy since you want an alu frame. They are well regarded in the SS and Fixie scene. They also have a nice two year warranty against defects with a crash replacement policy where if you f the frame up somehow they will replace it for half-price.

I think it's awesome you are going to build the bike up. Keep us posted when you get started!

9. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Sweet, that's a nice looking frame and fork. I'll definitely have to keep it in mind as I shop around. And yeah, I'll post up an update when I get this project off of the ground, though just the initial parts scavenging will probably take a few months!

Thanks for your help!