Question from a soon to be convert.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by davudvl, Jan 21, 2007.

1. davudvl macrumors newbie

I am going to be ordering 24"iMac.
    I have been using Pinnacle Studio 10 on my PC.
    Is iMovie comparable in terms of features or should I go to Final Cut Express?
    Thank you

2. -DH macrumors 65816

What video formats will you be working with?

-DH

3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

It's always recommended to learn a more robust software, because you will outgrow iMovie. Then you won't have to re-learn anything, just build on your knowledge. That's what I was always told. :cool:

4. davudvl thread starter macrumors newbie

Transfering clips from DV tape to computer. Making the video and then transfering it to dvd or to DV.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

For DV, either app would be fine. It all depends on how fancy you want to be. And then there's the cost; iMovie is free with iLife and FCE will run around $300.00. And as kllr b said, if you plan to edit a lot, it would be beneficial to learn FCE.

-DH

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How often are you going to be editing and how long are the finished videos likely to be?

If it's only a few times a year for a variety of 20 minute holiday videos, then I'd stick to iMovie since it's free and you can always upgrade later - perhaps if/when FCE is updated. There's more of a learning curve with FCE but iMovie is pretty much idiot-proof.

If it's something that you do every weekend as a hobby or you want to use more advanced effects, then look at FCE. The thing that iMovie lacks that I regret is more control over text but I don't make enough movies that it's a dealkiller for me.

7. davudvl thread starter macrumors newbie

I make about 4-5 20 minute movies a year. I guess I dont need much more than the iMovie. But when I placed an order for my imac, I couldnt refuse the temptation of adding FCE for $99 as part of their promotion.
    The only fancy stuff I do are the transitions and also putting motion effects for the photos. I noticed iMovie does not have too many transitions. Is there a place to purchase more?
    I also would like to do voice-overs. Is that possible in iMovie?

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are about 15-20 transitions in iMovie and yes, you can buy plug-ins to give you more. The transitions can be speeded up/slowed down and have their direction changed for the most part. I'm not a massive transition fan - simple cross-fades do it for me most of the time although the 'ripple' worked well on a few beach trips.

The only motion effect for pictures though is a simple Ken Burns effect - panning and zooming in/out

And yes, you can record a voiceover onto the other audio track if you want to.

However, for $99, FCE is a steal so you might want to go for it anyhow - just in case you feel more adventurous in the future.

9. davudvl thread starter macrumors newbie

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Re: voiceovers... Final Cut Express comes with Soundtrack, which has support for doing multiple takes of voiceovers for a given clip, and lets you review/pick the best take afterwards.