Question from newbie about OSX and my HP LaserJet 1300

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by uv23, Nov 26, 2003.

1. uv23 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. So I'm very close now to switching (12" PowerBook) but I've noticed some disturbing threads on printer compatability. I have an HP LaserJet 1300 and I want to be sure I'm not going to be screwed when I switch from XP to OSX. Are there driver issues that I need to be aware of? Thanks very much.

2. jadariv macrumors regular

I would check HP's website for driver information. Initially, all of our older HP printers at the office did not work with panther. I kept telling everyone to settle down and wait. Eventually, (it took a few weeks) all of our printer drivers were updated on there site. Not quite sure how old your printer is but there will probably be a driver. Our laserjet 4000n worked automatically with no extra drivers with panther.

3. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

The 1300 is a relatively new model, so hopefully there are fully functional drivers. Thanks for the info.

4. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

I have my Epson C80 plugged into one PC running Win 2K and a HP IIIP laser plugged into another PC.
    I can print to either from my G5 running Panther.

Too cool is very much an understatement :cool:
    I am a switcher also. Still use PC for some stuff.

5. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhhh so if I have my PC (running XP) and my powerbook on the same router at home, I can print through the network? Have to admit I'm no networkign genius so I didn't know I could do printer sharing from PC to Mac.

6. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

With Panther you can, and its very easy to do.

7. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would you mind giving me a rundown on how to do it from both the XP/X side? If I can just leave my printer plugged into the PC, that'd be dandy. Cheers. :)

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I just looked and your HP LJ 1300 is in the list of HP Printers so YES it is totally compatible with Mac OS X.3. Sharing this printer across a network is extremely easy! If you have any problems, just post them here and someone will help you out.