Question: Mac GamePads

Discussion in 'Games' started by AmbitiousLemon, Mar 8, 2003.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I was recently playing some old Nintendo games and was thinking how nice it would be to have a controller. (Mario keeps running into holes because I cant control him).

I am not a hardcore gamer (I tend to grow bored of games after a few days) but i do enjoy an occasional game.

I searched the forums for some advice on gamepads and only found this — a bit old.

So I was thinking of a controller that would be good for a wide array of games (old nintendo, playstation, atari games as well as modern FPSs)

I looked at logitech, Macally ishock, gravis, and ms sidewinder.

I've been leaning towards the logitech rumblepad (though i dont care for rumbling, just the design looks familar).

So what gamepads are you guys using and do you like them?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, my USB Gravis Gamepad Pro doesn't work with much of anything on Mac OS X but I've been looking at all those supported by Mac OS X 10.2.3 and the Immersion technology.

There was an article about those controllers at MacCentral this week. Here's the link:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/06.immersion.php

3. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

this one looks pretty nifty.

Very few of these support macs though. does it necessarily have to have mac support to work in jaguar? is there soem sort of third party software to assign keys to buttons and such?

[EDIT] found the software here it is called gamepad companion[/EDIT]

bousozoku have you tried gamepad companion?

4. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Recommended

Bought a Rumblepad a few weeks back. Works like a champ. I set it up for Tony Hawk 3. No problems. (sidenote: too bad they changed the key configs for THPS3...Booooo! I liked the ol' school simpler setup much better!) Anyway, there was an article from last week at www.maccentral.com that listed a whole boatload of OSX-happy controllers and the Rumblepad made the list.

FWIW, my setup: 933 Quicksilver running 10.2.4.

Good luck, 'lemon.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have not tried it. I would consider it for my G3, though. I think I'm going to go with one of those joysticks (or steering wheels) which utilise Immersion technology for the G4. I really don't like the feel of the gamepads that much although Nintendo's latest isn't bad.

Then again, this is someone who used to use an Atari joystick for hours on end. :D

6. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I found another application that supposedly does the same thing as gamepad companiion. it is called usb overdrive. but it does not have a listed of supported devices as gamepad companion does.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have an original MacAlly iShock. It is basically a transparent Playstation controller with out the force feed back ability. In my oppinion the Playstation controllers are the best ones out there.

I find that the games I play (UT, QuakeArena, etc.) are not suited for a game page.

I would like to sell it rather then bury it in a drawer and see it go unused forever. It is basically brand new and I have the original software and owners manual. For you I would take $10+shipping for it.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Games

Ok, this has ALWAYS bewildered me...

HOW do you play games on the mac, that are like SNES games. I could never figure that out. I have seen emulators on VersionTracker, but where the hell do you get the game?

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Games

There are game roms all over the internet. They are extremely small files usually.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Like...

Is there a little website that i can get em from?

11. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i had read that the ishock controllers were too big for most people's hands. what do you think?

i had been wondering about the various configurations. The only consoles i have owned was an atari and an original nintendo.

the gamepads with two analog joysticks look attractive to me. and saitek gamepads look pretty high end (im a mac owner so of course i like high end stuff). what are the different configurations out there and what consoles do they equate to? which one do you think would be good for everything from nintendo games to modern fps games?

as far as where do you get the games?

emulation.net has a great list of all the various consoles and systems and the emulators that are for them.

i think it is legal to distribute games. from what i have heard when they get old enough many companies decide they no longer make a profit so they release them to public domain. since most sites i see only offer old games i think that might be true. finding things like PS,PS2,XBOX,gamecube, n64 is more difficult.

just do a search on google for snes or nes and you find tons of sites. kdx servers are always good too. there is one that specializes in really old games. on the web i found quality roms to be pretty decent. the wbe can get kinda sticky though so i prefer kdx servers even if they are a bit slower.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

First off I don't think there are any controllers that will function well in a modern FPS game. There are just too many functions that one needs. You have to use a keyboard/mouse combination.

As for the size of the Playstation controller I have never heard of anyone saying it was too large. The original XBox controllers were too large but not the PS controlers. I have small hands and were a small size glove and have never found it uncomfortable.

The MacAlly iShock controller uses clear slightly smoked plasteic with a clear cord that matches the ones used by Apples mice and keyboard that they used with the old iMacs and PowerMacs. As for potential combination of functions I don't think any controller has a better setup. You have two buttons on the front for the index fingers. A standard cross style pad with the left thumb (ala nintendo), a 4 button pad on the right that's offset to be ergnomic for the thumb and 2 sticks that can be used for a number of functions. Also the sticks can be used as another button by pressing straight down on them.

Here's a review of it. The picture is a little off the plastic is not purple but smoke as I said before and the circuit board shows through and is green like in the picture.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=124

Like I said before, for you $10+shipping.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I tried using a joystick or gamepad for FPS games and they just weren't feasible. I like the mouse/keyboard combo instead although some keyboard combos are harder than others to remember.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I custom set up every FPS with the same basic keyboard arrangement.

15. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

you are probably right. unless you buy one of those uber gamepads or joysticks that cost like $100.

i guess then i just want something that would be good for emulated games then.

is there anyone out there who can shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages of the various controller types?

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There really isn't any one right controller or any one that has a serious advantage over another. It's really a personal thing and you need to try a few or at least hold them and get a feel for them. Everone has there own oppinion on what they like in a controller.

17. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well of course not, but without taking something home and using it for a couple days you cant really know what is for you.

i am just hoping to hear from various people which controllers they use and why they like them so that i can make a decision on which controller i woud like.

the ishock looks ok and it is a familiar design but all the reviews (even positive ones) mention that it is too big. they say its the bigger than the ps controller it mimics and this makes it difficult to reach certain buttons. i have medium to large hands and i know when holding the ps controller that some buttons are just barely in reach — make it bigger and my hands couldnt comfortably reach them.

the seitek controller seems to mimic an xbox or gamecube controller. neither of which ive ever used. the deisgn looks decent, and ninendo controllers have always worked well for me.

no one seems to make a controller like the nintendo 64. my brother has one of those so i have used it a few times and am comfortable with it.

i just wnat to know what everyone's experience is with various controllers. anyone out there use the third party software to program theirs? how does it work?

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The iShock 2 might be bigger but the original iShock is not only the same size but is made from the identical molds. You can tell when you put them side by side and if you look through the plastic of the iShock it has the molding for the vibration unit the PS controller has. They are in every way identical.

I didn't really mean for you to take them home and try them for a few days. You can determine pretty fast just by holding one if it will even fit your hand or not and if it's going to be comfortable.