Question marks in mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by decksnap, Oct 21, 2006.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I am trying to help somebody out with their Mail problem... Every time they type a 'return' in an email, it shows up as a question mark in the received email on the other end. (For many, but not all, recipients). Anybody ever see this, or have an idea as to why it's happening?

They're running Mail in Tiger.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Message menu, what is their Text Encoding set to? PCs have trouble with Unicode. Mine is on Automatic and as far as I know, PCs have no trouble with question marks in my emails. Also, do question marks still appear when the emails are written in Plain Text? :)

3. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

It is set to automatic. I assume in plain text the issue would not appear, but that is not a solution. After much googling, it appears this problem has happened to quite a few others, and I still haven't found a solution. Perhaps it's a bug...

What's the easiest way to reinstall/reset mail?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

After backing up, trash the relevant PLIST files from the Preferences folder. If you then want to go the whole hog, drag the Mail app from the Applications folder to the Trash and use an app like Pacifist to reinstall it from the OSX discs. :)

5. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

Thanks... a little update- it appears to be a real bug rather than user error. We figured out that it only happened when sending messages to certain windows users with attachments. Since she (against my recommendation) had an image in her signature, it was happening all the time. I've ticked off 'send windows friendly attachments' as well as removed the image from her signature, and the problem seems to have gone away.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure reinstalling Mail is a good idea. I don't know that it'll help. :eek:

7. naturallight macrumors member

Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed in Leopard's Mail? I have Tiger, and it drives me bonkers.

Thanks!