Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savemeanegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Hi, I am having difficulty with some animation and was hoping someone here could advise as to the best way to tackle it.

I have two version of my app both have their pros and both have their cons, neither are perfect!

I need to animate 50+ images in response to user touches and have found the problem is directly caused by the method used in getting the image on screen and nothing else.

Version 1

Load all the images into an array and use a single imageview on the main view and change the imageviews image from the array in response to user touches.

This way the view in question appears on the screen immediately with the first image on display, however the animation stutters probably due to the switching of images not being able to keep up with the users touches.

Version 2

Load 50+ imageviews into an array with the required image and add them to the main view all set to hidden and as the user touches the screen show / hide the required imageview.

Tis way requires the loading to happen in a new thread that allows the main view to appear with a message telling the user images are loading. However although the animation is exactly how I want it, perfectly smooth etc the long delay while the imageview load is not practical for the needs of the user or app.

Can any one offer me any advice on how to resolve this please?

savemeanegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
also, does anyone know if whacking the image to screen using opengl es (if possible) would be a quicker way of doing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.