Question Of The Day

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mtorbin, Mar 25, 2004.

1. mtorbin macrumors member

Jan 26, 2004
    Ok, without bring up bad history, the following is somewhat of a heated debate and I'd like to see what others think:

If you zero out a drive and reformat it every six to eight months, making sure you follow the proper procedures, can this adversely affect the drive, yes or no?

Just curious where others stand on this issue. I won't give my opinions just yet.

- MT
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    that's too much wear and tear and just unnecessary. why would you want to risk overworking and shortening your drives life span by doing that? i think it would be ill-educated to do something like that...

3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    so I guess windows dying every 4 weeks and having me reformat my drive is not a good thing right?? O and not to mention having to fdisk it when windows only reads 1/256 of the drive.....
  4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    why reformat when you don't need to? its not a matter of how much time has passed since the last one, its a matter of if its needed or not.
  5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I think it's rather unnecessary in most cases - but it can't be a source for a significant amount of wear and tear on the disk, given the interval you're talking about. Just think about the number of accesses on any part of the disk in this procedure; then compare it to likely day-to-day usage.