question oh GB Hard drive and Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by prp134, Aug 9, 2005.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

So Im getting an ibook and i want to upgrade it to 100GB hard drive, i was wondering is that too much? I've been reading some of the post on here and almost everyone upgrades to 80GB only, so Im wondering is 100GB too much then?

Also, there was a post on here on apple's return policy and how you cant return a BTO computer, the guy wanted to return his PB because he had one deal pixel but not only could he not return it because it was only one but it was also a BTO computer, but this guy on the post said that if he had applecare, applecare would replace his computer even if it was only one dead pixel, (because i guess to return a mac there needs to be more than one) so Im wondering if i decide to get Applecare later on when my warranty ends, if i happen to get an ibook with one deal pixel, would apple care cover it?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You are covered under warranty (nominally called AppleCare) for one year with your purchase. You can buy AppleCare for another two years of coverage anytime up until your 364th day.

You cannot send a BTO back for refund, however it is still covered by warranty. You would have to ask Apple what their pixel policy was under warranty -- I don't believe whether you have bought extended Applecare or not makes any difference.

The thing with a BTO is that it's harder to get a swap for a new machine if there are problems with yours.

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

The cost difference between 60 and 80GB (about $50) justifies an upgrade, but the price difference between 80 and 100 (about $100) does not, imo. Unless you really have 100 gigs (about 85 after os stuff is installed) of data you need with you at all times, I would say stick with the 80.

Is it really worth $100 to get 17 (real gigs, not 1000 byte gigs) or so more gigs of storage?

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Very true, and besides, you will probably want to buy an external hd in the future to back up your system, and you can also use it for additional storage as well. That $100 will go a long way towards a 100GB or so FW hd.

5. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'll install Microsoft Office, and then I'll add all my songs onto my ibook, mainly this will me my life for the my two last yrs in college since Im giving up on my slow pc. I just read that Hard drive is the only thing you can upgrade later so get as much as you can when you order ur Mac.

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I think if you use up 80 gigs of space, you'll use up 100 as well. Either case would necessitate purchasing an external hd or enclosure. The price difference isn't worth it. I personally stuck with 60 and, as you can probably see, am getting an external for backup and storage of nonessentials.

A few years from now, the difference between 80 and 100 will seem inconsequential as storage becomes cheaper (think of how crazy even a 60-gig hd in a notebook seemed 4 years ago). You'll have to buy something bigger anyway, so why try to avoid the inevitable?

To clarify another thing, you CAN upgrade the internal hd later-it just costs a lot, and is best left to professionals.