Question on adding RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by c2kvette, Jul 14, 2005.

1. c2kvette macrumors member

Feb 12, 2003
    Charlotte, North Carolina USA
    I have a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 with 1.25 gb of ram currently. Would I be able to tell a difference if I upgraded to 2.0 gb ($96) or 3.0 gb ($216). Would it be worth the extra money?

Programs I use:
    QuarkXpress; Photoshop; Illustrator; iMovie HD; iPhoto; iDVD

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Hopefully these benchmarks will help you decide for photoshop.

EDIT: Which versions of Quark, PS, and Illustrator are you using?
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Simple: You'll be able to tell the difference the moment you exceed 2.0 Gb of programs and data at one time.

So it depends how you are using the software, and how big your projects are. If you consistently stay below the 2 Gb threshold, you'll see little if any improvement.

I'm just trying to think through how you are going to get from 1.25 Gb to 2 Gb. Your machine requires RAM in pairs. So I am guessing you are taking out the 2 x 128 that apple shipped it with and installing 2 x 512. If you have a G5 with 4 memory sockets, then you have to factor in that 4 x 512 leaves you with no room to expand -- so 2 x 1 Gb may be a better long term purchase
  4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    ps is the big hog there.

cs will max out at 2 no matter what your system has
    cs2 w/o tiger is around 3.5 gb max
    cs2 w/ tiger is however much you have.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, you will see a difference in you Mac with more memory. Purchase whatever you can afford. Your prices sound quite low. Just be sure that you are purchasing from a legitimate company. They should offer a lifetime warranty. I would suggest that you check the Crucial RAM link above. They have an easy locator, very important that you get the correct RAM for your Mac.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I saw a dramatic improvement in going from 1.5 GB to 3.5 GB when using various programming tools (and many browser windows). Hopwever, I tended to be maxing out my RAM and swapping a lot - which you might or might not be doing.

I would suspect that you'd notice a difference between 2GB and 3GB and I agree that, if you can afford it, the extra GB is well worth the ~$100, esp. if, as noted, you've only got four slots.

If you've got an older dual-1.8 with 4 pairs (8 slots), I'd add a GB (2x512) and see if it works fine, then add the extra GB if necessary.