Question on External Monitor with iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skubish, Jul 3, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am confused about the difference between connecting and external monitor to an iBook versus a PB.

Is there any difference? I just want to be able to turn off the display on the portable and use the external monitor at times.

Does connecting to an external monitor cut the VRAM available in half?

Thanks

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The iBook supports screen mirroring, so you can use an external monitor mirroring the laptop screen or instead of it. I'm not sure if you can change the resolution to higher ones or not though, someone else will have to answer that.
    The PowerBook supports mirroring as well as spanning so it can do all of what the iBook can do plus more.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The iBook can also span though a popular firmware hack....so really, other than 30" display support, in this facet, the iBook and Powerbooks are more or less equal.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But remember, a hack can damage your computer (but it probably won't since many people have already used it.) It may also void your warranty.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not quite. The iBooks have VGA output whereas the PBooks have DVI.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Didn't even think of that. For an even more in-depth analysis, the 12-inch has mini-DVI and the 15 and 17 have normal DVI and S-Video. The 15 with the upgraded video card and the 17 have dual DVI.

7. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Both the powerbook and the ibook need converters to use the video output ports

• ibooks have mini vga output powerbooks have dvi
    • both can output to tv with the right converter
    • ibooks require a hack for dual monitors
    • ibooks are not so good at graphicaly intensive programs when using dual monitors
    • ibooks cant display an external screen when the lid is shut

does anyone know if the dual monitor hack changes anything when no external display is attached? is the graphics ram still halved?

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

What I am curious about, is when using an external monitor on an iBook, is it possible to have the display NOT show on the iBook?

I usually dim the brightness all the way down, but I'd think there'd be better way :confused:

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Screen Spanning Doctor allows clamshell mode (close the laptop and use an external display). Use it at your own risk.

10. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

That doesn't make any sense whatsover, on Apple's part. Why have screen mirroring without the ability to turn off the lappy? Isn't the purpose of screen mirroring to use a larger display and NOT the one on ur notebook?

One more thing. Does the screen spanning hack really void your warranty?

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Mirroring on the iBook is not really there to hook up a monitor. Its there to allow you to connect your iBook to a projector or TV for presentations. In this case, its doesn't matter if your computer is open or not.

I really don't know. Its not just software though, its actually hacks the firmware.

12. DDarling macrumors newbie

What converters are needed?

I currently have a 14" G4 iBook, and am looking into hooking it up to a external monitor, such as aDell 24" LCD. I already know the firmware hack that I need to download for this to work, but what converters are needed to hook it physically to the monitor.

DDarling

EDIT: Can anyone answer my question. It is my belief that all I need with this particular monitor is the adapter that comes with my iBook to convert my video out port to VGA. Correct?

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Is mini-DVI is different from DVI (except for the obvious port size difference)? I have both 15" and 12" and both of them are paired to ACD (15" PB with 23" ACD & 12" with 20" ACD) and what I see on the screens are both good.

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

One of the reasons I chose a 12" PB over 12" iBook when I was looking for a smaller notebook is the screen spanning and clam shell features. I am weary of the hack on iBook to do the screen spanning as it is called "hack."

15. DDarling macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm or deny this thought?

Please.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The specs on the Dell say VGA. The iBook can output VGA. I'd say you're set.

17. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

The issue will be whether the iBook, with its 32MB video card, can drive the 1920x1080 resolution of the Dell 24". I'm curious about this myself. I've done 1600x1200 with a 21" CRT, but I'm not sure about the 1920x1080.

As far as connectivity goes, you should be able to use the iBook VGA adapter to work with LCDs with VGA inputs.

18. DDarling macrumors newbie

Thats a really huge issue for me, but I also just found this on the Apple site. I have never used a Apple Display before, and am wondering what I need to connect to it. I have heard it is much more complicated then my previous idea of the dell display.

DDarling

19. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

How was the performance of the 1600 resolution with the 16mb split?