Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pad18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
My iPod was stolen today =( and i was wondering what's the statistics of an iMac crashing and loosing all of it's information? I had two different PC's that crashed and i lost all of my music because of it, so I'm curious if i should go run and get a new one or am i safe? I have an iPhone with the music i listen to alot and i have an old iPod with 30gigs on it that fits on 27 of my 56 gigs. So what do i do? Are iMac's know to crash for no reason or anything of the sort?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Well I can't speak for apple's more recent line of products, but I had a G5 for 6 years and it never failed me-- even with its G5 cpu chugging away at 74c nonstop. No crashes or data loss or anything of that nature.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) iMacs are reliable
2) No important data should be without a good backup

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I don't think your question is as much about an iMac as it is about
general HD reliability. Always have you stuff backed up. Always.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
My iPod was stolen today =( and i was wondering what's the statistics of an iMac crashing and loosing all of it's information? I had two different PC's that crashed and i lost all of my music because of it, so I'm curious if i should go run and get a new one or am i safe? I have an iPhone with the music i listen to alot and i have an old iPod with 30gigs on it that fits on 27 of my 56 gigs. So what do i do? Are iMac's know to crash for no reason or anything of the sort?

That's what TC & Time machine are for. Obviously computers crash, it happens. Just make sure you have a backup.

As far as reliability?
They are pretty good. I think I have a WD in both iMac's and they've been chuggin away for a few yrs already.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I had the same things happen to me with PCs before, never a Mac.
I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but it's pretty rare for that to happen on a Mac.

But then again, if your music is important to you, you should never leave it without a backup, as well as the rest of your files.
That's where Time Machine comes in handy. It makes backups automatically without ever distracting you from what you were working on.

Sadly, Windows has no such feature. You can make a system copy on Windows, but it won't go back and back up hourly.

So to answer your question, iMacs, along with all other Macs are very reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.