Question On iPod Warrenty

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Dec 30, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly... I purchased my iPod last June, and it comes with a standard one year warrenty... So, it will be 11 months this april from the time I purchased my iPod, or last June.. Now, april comes around and I decide I want to take my iPod in for service at a local apple store... I take the ipod to the genious bar and tell the tech to replace the battery in the ipod b/c the charge isn't holding out as long as it used to.. Now if I understand correctly, the "genious" should replace my ipod battery free of charge b/c it is still under warrenty, am I right? I mean thats what I want to do, have the battery replaced just before my warrenty expires so as I don't have to pay 99 smackers a month later... Also, if this is correct, do they give me a "new" model of my 3g or do they take my "old" 3g and just swap the battery out? How does that work? :confused:
  2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2004
    Essex, United Kingdom
    It's a warranty!

There will be terms and conditions that have to be met before they either replace or repair anything under warranty.

In your case, if they decide that the battery life you have is acceptable and within their terms, they can refuse to replace it.

Also they probably won't give you a new one unless there is a serious problem.
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Are you joking!?!

Cybernanga has the right idea. I would imagine the battery is classed as consumable, like the brake pads on a car for example. If the pads wear down on a new car would you expect them to replace them free of charge? I don't think so, it's general wear and tear/usage. Same goes with the battery, unless of course there is a DRASTIC deterioration, in which case the battery may be faulty.
  4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is why I bought my ipod's from Worst Buy, errr I meant Best Buy. I have had a couple of iPods replaced with newer units because of battery issues.
  6. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    lol what a joke then, whats apple's warrenty for, lol even if u get it extended hah for what eh?
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    They *will* replace your battery during the warranty, *if* it's defective. They actually have standards for what defective means. That's how warranties work. That's why it's called a warranty, and not a rip-me-off-for-free-card. ;)

IIRC, Apple's standard is less than 50% of the stated lifetime during the initial 12 month period. I'm sure the actual number has been posted on MacRumors somewhere, because I know I've seen it here, but you'll have to search for that.
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003