Question On Mac Gaming And RAM???

Discussion in 'Games' started by jumpman25, Apr 12, 2004.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Right now I have a 12" 1GHz PowerBook with a Go5200 and 256MB of RAM. I just tried to play the Command & Conquer Generals Demo, and found it to be rather slow. It is playable at 1024x768 at low settings, but after coming from a decked out Athlon 64 system with a 9800 Pro, and a Gig or Corsair, it just seems a little slow. To slow for me. My question is if I add a 512MB stick or even a 1024 stick, will that make a huge difference in performance, or just a little difference? The computer can do most of what I want with 256MB, and I would hate to go out and purchase more memory only for a small performance upgrade in games. Any replys would be appreciated.

2. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Honestly 256MB is really not enough to run OSX decently. You may not kow it but at this stage your machine is using the hard drive ALOT to compensate. You'll be surprised how much of a difference more RAM will make overall. If you can afford 1GB, go for it. But an extra 512 will help a bunch and is probably sufficient.
    One other place where performance is hidden is in a faster HD, but obviously that requires alot of dismantling.
    I have the same Powerbook with 512MB total and it plays most games rather well. Ghost Recon and Rainbox Six play well with fairly high settings. (Halo needs to be turned down, but it's a hog on any machine.) If I get a chance I'll transfer C&C from my tower to my book and tell you how it does with 512MB.
    I plan to upgrade both RAM and HD on mine (soon I hope)- that may help my "on the road gaming!"

3. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

I am new to Macs. This is my first Mac and I just got it about 2 weeks ago so I really don't know what is fast or slow for a Mac. It seems to run good, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. I only have a 40GB 4200 RPM drive so it does make sense that if OSX does have to use the HD it would slow things down. If you could try generals and let me know how it works on you PB that would be great. I'm thinking now that I will probably add more RAM regardless but it would be nice to know. Also, thanks for the quick reply.

4. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Ill do my best to try it today- but I have an incredibly busy day (and week for that matter). But, I'll try to get you that info.

BTW, welcome to the cult. ;)

You will find, that a Mac is not about bragging rights- you will more and more enjoy actually using your computer. You'll look forward to using it, as opposed to just using it cuz you have to- like you have to use a razor to shave your face.

Don't turn your powerbook off- close the lid, or set it to sleep. It's unix and made to run continuously- it's a great feature! Just restart after updates if necessary and repair disk permissions after all installs.

If you have other ?'s just ask- we'll all be glad to help.