Question on Powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zach007, Apr 29, 2004.

1. zach007 macrumors member

Hey,

It's time for graduation and I've decided I'm letting my parents get me a mac(this is my first one). Im opting for the lower end 15"pb with added superdrive and backlit keyboard. This is my concern, I've read other forums that where people complain about latches not working and dead pixels and white spots on the screen. Is this a concern with the new powerbooks? Or have they worked out the bugs. I know most of the forums I was reading were from 2003 so maybe they fixed the problems?

Is it a concern? Or are the new PowerBooks good to go?

thanks

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't know about the white spots... but I would ask why you're buying the lower model then upgrading it. The price on the low end 15" with Superdrive and backlight is $2,268... but the 15" high end is only $2500, plus you get twice the RAM, and 20GB more hard drive space, not to mention 170mhz faster CPU... all for less than $250.

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Those problems (white spots, and latches) were in the older models.
    In the newer models, those problems have been fixed.

4. zach007 thread starter macrumors member

thats true.. I'll see what the parents think..

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

the new powerbooks are badass. You'll love any model you get. If you don't NEED a superdrive, you can save a bit. If your parents are paying, splurge!!! (and make sure to get the EDU discount)

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Wow! You're LETTING your parents buy you a Mac? That's pretty nice of you.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll let my parents buy me a Ferrari! :D :p :)

As the previous posters have said, the new PB's are great. It seems that the issues with previous models have been resolved.

One question to ask yourself: Do you really need the superdrive? When my parents bought my brother a new iMac about a year and a half ago, I pushed to get the superdrive because "I was going to be burning a ton of DVD's!" I haven't burned a single one, and neither has my brother. In fact, we've only burned 2 CD's in a year and a half.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm guessing you're talking about high school - but if it's college be sure to go for the educational discount. It'll save you... er, your parents, a few hundred dollars.

8. zach007 thread starter macrumors member

yea its highschool but I still get the educational discount because I've been accepted to a university..to RBMaraman-->thanks for the superdrive advice

9. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Not gonna happen

I tried to sign up for Edu discount while in high school, even though I have been accepted to college and I have already taken online classes with the same college. Problem is, I am not currently ATTENDING classes and so they wouldn't give it to me. They told me I MUST fax them a copy of my schedule and nothing else works. That was a bummer since I can't wait a month after college starts to get my computer. So I had a friend that's in college and doesn't use macs sign up and buy the computer, then sell it to me. My two cents.

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Get the high end 15 no matter what. I was with my dad when he bought a 10 gig iPod for my birthday, and I had the money to upgrade it to a 20, but didn't go for it. Now I'm regretting that a lot. Think of it as you paying $250ish for the entire computer.

I got my Powerbook the same way, my mom agreed to pay $1000 for a new computer and let me pay the rest. I got a top of the line 15 and haven't looked back once through my years of debit.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You could always try to make up the difference...