Question on Tiger and iLife

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CubaTBird, Dec 26, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Okay so when tiger comes out, if u want iphoto, imovie, and idvd u still need to buy ilife separate from the os x tiger? i mean if u just buy tiger alone, what, all u get is tiger and basically itunes? if u want all the other iapps u gotta buy ilife for another price? if so, eessh

2. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Get it all

Not if you buy a Mac with Tiger pre-loaded. It will likely have iLife pre-installed as well.
    If you buy Tiger as an upgrade. You'll probably need to buy iLife separately. iLife will probably be updated before Tiger comes out anyway.

3. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

yea i guess i could c that, so if they come out with ilife 05 at mwsf, what, u install it under 10.3 no prob? then when tiger comes out a few mos later u buy that, install that, then install ilife 05 again? (if ur doin a clean install)

4. Bear macrumors G3

Some of the iLife applications can be downloaded for free.

iDVD and Garageband require buying a copy of iLife if you don't have the latest version.

Note that applies to the now current version of iLife.

If you bought a computer after it was released, the iLife applications should be up to date. (When you buy a Mac, the then current versions of the iLife applications are currently included. This probably won't change, but you never know.)

Depending on what Apple does with iLife, there could be another application in the next iLife revision or which ones cost money may change.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Buy any computer from Apple, you get iLife with it. If they upgrade iLife after you buy your computer, you can go and buy iLife by itself to upgrade your version, such as all the people who bought their Macs before iLife 04 came out, they could buy it to update from the default Jagur versions.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iPhoto and iMovie are no longer available as free downloads either. They, too, require an iLife purchase. iTunes is still available free of charge.

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

My best guess is that iLife '04 will be included with the retail-boxed Tiger.

That's based on the fact that Panther came with iLife '03. So if that's a pattern, and Apple follows it, that means Tiger will have iLife '04 but not iLife '05 (if there even is such a thing).

Of course we hope an iLife '05 would take advantage of Core Video and Core Image. :) (I mean, beyond the cute droplet effect).

8. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

iTunes will remain free of charge, you need it if you want to buy at the apple store or using an iPod... so they won't charge you for something that might bring profit to the ITMS :D

9. Bear macrumors G3

Actually Panther did not come with iLife '03 - it came with some of the iLife applications.

We'll have to wait to see what Tiger ships with.

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I guess I had iLife '03 on my Jaguar-equipped iBook, in that case, and the Panther upgrade CDs only updated one or two of the iLife programs.

11. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

When I bought Panter it came with with all apps fro iLife 03.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Actually Panther does not come with iDVD. It would take like 3 CDs - Apple actually ships iDVD on DVD in the iLife bundle.